Newbie looking for used stove for barn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ElizabethDee

Jun 15, 2024
Syracuse
Hi, I am looking to buy a used wood stove to use in my barn on the rare occasion I’m working out there in the winter. The barn is about 3000sf. I’ve been looking on Facebook marketplace and have found a few stoves that are in my price range (about $1000), but to be honest, I’m not really sure what I’m looking at. I found a very good looking Woodstock Palladian from 1995 and a Fisher Grandpa stove (unsure of date). According to the seller, the Fisher has one cracked brick. Any advice on these models? Thank you in advance!

Hi, I am looking to buy a used wood stove to use in my barn on the rare occasion I’m working out there in the winter. The barn is about 3000sf. I’ve been looking on Facebook marketplace and have found a few stoves that are in my price range (about $1000), but to be honest, I’m not really sure what I’m looking at. I found a very good looking Woodstock Palladian from 1995 and a Fisher Grandpa stove (unsure of date). According to the seller, the Fisher has one cracked brick. Any advice on these models? Thank you in advance!
Go with a big old steel stove like the fisher. But you should be able to find one easily under $500

BTW, you really have a poor chance of heating a typical barn. Heat rises and most of the heat will head up to the roof. Luckily, radiant heat is line of sight, if you are colder than the stove and you can see it, radiant heat from the stove will transfer directly to you without it heading up to the ceiling. Same thing happens with a campfire. Therefore, you want a large stove with lots of surface area, basically steel box. What you do not want is one with internal heat exchangers and fans. BTW a cracked brick on a Fisher is non issue. If its missing it needs to be replaced but fire bricks are readily available at hardware stores, you just may need to cut or split them with chisel.

Agreed, an unshielded old steel stove. (Fisher, Timberline, Schrader, etc.) is a better fit. Most if not all of the convected heat will rise and leak out of the building. The radiant heat from the stove will be what is mostly felt.