New wood stove new house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gibbonfd2

Jul 19, 2017
Nebraska
Ok all I have been reading the forum for sometime now. It has really been a big help. The wife and I bought a house on my parents farm. We close at the end of July. I bought a used stove from a gentleman here locally. It is a century heat FW3000. It would make you laugh if I told you what I paid for it. I had to put new brick in it, also it was missing the ash tray which I am building now. I gave it a sanding and some fresh paint. I wish I would have taken some before pictures.
New wood stove new houseNew wood stove new houseNew wood stove new houseNew wood stove new house

Any ways I don't have a picture of where I am planning on putting the stove in the house but I will do my best to explain it. In the dining room center of the house there is what looks like a breakfast nook. It is 58" wide and the stub wall is 36". The north wall has a window in it about 28" from the back wall. I am wondering if placing the stove in this area will affect my heating of the house. Or if I can get my clearance. Will the window effect the stove? The windows in the house are 2 years old. I will get some pictures when possible hopefully sooner rather then later. Thanks for all your thoughts guys means a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: James02
Welcome to the forums. A few pics of the proposed stove location (and other possible locations) will help get the ball rolling. Sounds like a busy summer. New house. New stove install. Hope the weather decides to cool off while you move. Enjoy!

Isn't it satisfying to get a stove and fix it up yourself? :)
Stoves need something to move air around, so the built in blower is a really nice feature. If you do any work on the hearth back wall, you won't regret installing a receptacle behind the stove with a conveniently located switch to control it.

Greg

Not to bad of buy for $45 plus some stove pipe. I enjoy working on this kind of stuff. I am not sure when I will be able to get back out to the house so I took some time today and sketched this up hoping it helps a bit. I would like to take the stub wall out but I will have to see if it is load bearing or not. New wood stove new houseNew wood stove new house

New wood stove new houseNew wood stove new house
Ok I was able to get into the house the other day. The owners are still packing to move so sorry for their boxs in the picture but this is where I want to put the stove. You can see the stub wall in the first picture. What are your guys thoughts on placing it in this hole?

Looks great! You're going to want some air blowing on the stove. The heat might have a tough job getting out of that nook.