New Wood Furnace Install (Part 2)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Either way...I'd lean toward being able to do it all from the bottom so you don't have to go up on that obviously high roof in the middle if the winter...just buy 2 kits...probably cheaper than buying all that extra rod, and then you have an extra head/parts.

Cool, just wasn’t sure if it would push or turn with the drill that far AND through the offsets! Thanks again for all your help!

I also have to figure out how to make it run my fuel oil furnace blower. I believe its as easy as connecting wires from the junction box on the wood furnace to the fuel oil furnaces blower wires with some romex rather than the wood furnaces pair of blowers than will be left out. I just dont know right off if its fine to 3 way that connection in the FO furnace or something more complicated has to be done.
I'd run wires from the oil furnace over to the HB and use a Honeywell fan/limit control switch in the HB plenum to kick the blower on/off...basically "parallel" the wiring with the existing oil furnace blower wiring/controls. So what you will end up with is the blower can be kicked on by the switch in either plenum.
The only thing is you will need to make sure the high limit part of the switch is tied to the HB (if it has "auto" controls (thermostat controlled) which unless both furnaces are fed from the same power circuit, will mean you need to be careful to not get things "crossed up"

Cool, just wasn’t sure if it would push or turn with the drill that far AND through the offsets! Thanks again for all your help!
I've never personally done it, but I know others that had to buy a second kit for extra length, and people that used them in offsets, just dunno if anybody has done both at the same time...probably, I'd guess...would think it will work fine

Actually I am doing the assembly of the HB right now and looking at the wiring diagram it gives I modified it quick to show what I'm thinking will work.

image.jpg

The HB has two switches, it does have an electronically controlled damper. After reading and looking at the manual and wiring diagram enough (They seem to use the words thermal disk and limit switch for both of these switches interchangeably. Confusing) I believe the top switch just controls the auto door damper so I would leave that alone. Seems to me I want the wire off the bottom (adjustable) switch to feed signal power to the FO furnace blower on hot side and the neutral connection from HB plug in just always feeding neutral to the FO furnace blowers neutral side wiring. This is where I think your saying not to get it crossed up because I am guessing the FO furnace blowers wires are both black and I will need to check which one is hot and which is neutral on the FO furnace before I make the connection.

Last edited:
Seems to me I want the wire off the bottom (adjustable) switch to feed signal power to the FO furnace blower on hot side and the neutral connection from HB plug in just always feeding neutral to the FO furnace blowers neutral side wiring. This is where I think your saying not to get it crossed up because I am guessing the FO furnace blowers wires are both black and I will need to check which one is hot and which is neutral on the FO furnace before I make the connection.
Yeah that should work...but, are both furnaces going to be fed from the same 120V circuit? (breaker, or fuse if your house has not been updated)
If they are not on the same circuit you will have to use the HB wires to activate a relay wired into the oil furnace blower (or there may be one there already)
The wires on your oil furnace blower should not both be black...unless it is 220V? If that's the case you will need to wire through a relay for sure.
You can make the connections wherever it suits, but do it in a proper junction box/panel/control box (just not externally where someone could get into it, or it could get really hot from the furnace, especially the HB...in the event of a power outage)

Last edited:
The 2 red wires are your capacitor wires...green is ground...the 2 (?) black wires 120v power? And the blue...dunno. should be a wiring diagram in the furnace...back side of the cover maybe