New to the pellet world- brand question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

romarob

Jan 2, 2014
Westchester, NY
Hello all! So I finally saved up and bought the Harmon 52i to heat about 2500 sq ft. LOVE it so far! My natural gas burner is barely kicking in and it has been in the 20's and 30's the past few weeks here in Westchester County, NY.
I've been trying a variety of brands that range from $4.18 at the box store to $7 from the "pro" shops. I've tried several bags of Fireside, Stove Chow and Energex. I just picked up about 10 bags of Pres-to-logs, since I'm running low and that's all my local box store had. I've read reviews about higher ash, but honestly, I haven't noticed a significant difference in ash, heat output or even burn time. So far, I can't say that it's worth spending almost twice the price for the ones sold at the pro shop, but then again, I'm new to this. Any suggestions? Any ideas on where to order a ton from in my area would be great as well.
I noticed the "Minister of Fire" had a review chart, but only found last year's. Is there an updated one available? It was very helpful and much appreciated!
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum
I burn the big box store firesides from HD, Why because they are cheep and they heat my home. If I went to the Pro shops as you said and I did in the beginning of my burning yes they are more expensive and to me its like buy three get two free for staying away from them But everyone is different, If I need more heat I turn it up. To me ash is ash. Any thing you burn will have ash and more ash to me means cleaning a week earlier. Just my two cents

Status
Not open for further replies.