New to the forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Woody73

Sep 5, 2024
Illinois
Hello, I am new to the forum but have been reading stuff on here for a while, I live in a older mobile home and I’m planning on buying a Century s3500, which is mobile home approved. I had several questions, I plan on using the “Duravent Duraplus through the wall kit” and “Duravent Duraplus triple wall chimney pipe” Im hoping this is the proper stuff to use? The stove pipe will be DVL double wall pipe but was concerned because it appears the outer layer is galvanized being connected to the top of the stove, is that not a problem with the heat? And is a 90 degree elbow in the stove pipe against any codes? As a side note if anyone knows of a insurance company that is wood stove friendly for a fair price that would be great, I am located East/ central Illinois and don’t believe that Progressive will want to cover me after the install. Thanks for any help and advice and I look forward to learning and sharing stuff on this forum!

You can not used galvanized pipe indoors, it can kill you, 90s are allowed but they aren't good, they hurt your draft a lot. Two 45s work much better. Stay away from triple wall chimney pipe. It's not very good quality. It sounds strange but double wall chimney pipe is much better quality.

DuraVent DVL is safe. The outerwall is sealed with paint which prevents oxidation. Also, the outerwall stays well below the temp of concern for galvanized outgassing unless the pipe is seriously overfired.

DuraPlus will work, but is not as good as DuraTech and it is a larger pipe due to the triple-walls. It is 10" OD while DuraTech with better insulation is 8" OD. Another option would be Selkirk chimey and stove pipe which may be more affordable if there is a Menards in the area.

Okay I appreciate the help, I figured the heat from the stove pipe itself wouldn’t be a problem on the outer layer but was more concerned about the first few inches right above the stove, my thoughts were if the stove top was 500 or 600 degrees that may make the outside of the stove pipe possibly go over the safe temp for galvanized in that first few inches (which I believe is somewhere in the 400s) so I’m guessing that’s not a problem due to the paint as you said? I will probably stick to this setup due to the cost, I’m trying to buy most of it online so I will look into the Selkirk this evening. Our nearest menards is a hour away so that wouldn’t be too bad if I had too we normally shop at Lowe’s it’s about a half hour away.

I've had DVL installed for 18 yrs. without issue.

Reactions: Woody73