New To Pellet Stoves Need Advice Summers Heat 25-PDVC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stove is working really good throwing the heat. Flame a lot bigger and we seem to have actual hot coals where the pellets feed in. Living room temp is 73,master bedroom, and bathroom is 64. Temp outside is 22. Stove settings blower and heat are both set at 5 aND bottom 3 set 6 4 1.

The past couple days while we have been at work the stove has just shut down and still have pellets. Not sure what is causing that to happen.

Right now we have it on heat 8, blower speed 8, low fuel on 5, low burn on 6, and air temp 1.
If you have the heat on 8, and you are only using a bag a day, then you are not getting the right amount of
fuel into the burnpot... Clad mentions to at least run your restrictor plate 1/2 open.
If you are cold, I'd say open it right up... you need heat, it's winter!
Fuel = heat.
Also, don't expect flame thrower heat.. it is after all a small heater...
But that said, they do a fine job for the designed use....

EDIT: Wish I had seen that last post before this went out!
Glad you got some heat out of it!!

Dan

If you have the heat on 8, and you are only using a bag a day, then you are not getting the right amount of
fuel into the burnpot... Clad mentions to at least run your restrictor plate 1/2 open.
If you are cold, I'd say open it right up... you need heat, it's winter!
Fuel = heat.
Also, don't expect flame thrower heat.. it is after all a small heater...
But that said, they do a fine job for the designed use....

EDIT: Wish I had seen that last post before this went out!
Glad you got some heat out of it!!

Dan

OMG we are so thankful for everyone's help on Hearth. We were at a total loss as what to do. We were about to throw in the towel and return stove to Lowes.

Reactions: bags
Stove is working really good throwing the heat. Flame a lot bigger and we seem to have actual hot coals where the pellets feed in. Living room temp is 73,master bedroom, and bathroom is 64. Temp outside is 22. Stove settings blower and heat are both set at 5 aND bottom 3 set 6 4 1.

The past couple days while we have been at work the stove has just shut down and still have pellets. Not sure what is causing that to happen.

Glad all is well for you.

If you need more heat from the stove, raise the heat to 7 or 8 and the blower to 7 or 8. It's OK to run the stove with offset numbers (Heat 6 / Blower 7 or Heat 7 / Blower 6), the stove will handle these settings just fine.

Stay warm.

Reactions: Hall
You are welcome, that's a good stove you have there, glad you didn't give up! This will solve your second issue.https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/pellets-sticking-to-englander-hopper-solved.136544/ Don't be afraid to leave your room blower on 9 for all heat settings, unless the noise is too much!

Having the blower set to 9 is fine, but you loose the radiant heat with the heat set under 5.

This is a great stove once tuned in, the trick with this stove is to keep it clean in the heat exchanger area, every 3 or 4 days clean it out completely.

I've spent loads of time with this stove, so much time that I even made some changes to the burn pot so that it burns hotter (do a search here under my name for details that I have posted here on this site).

Having the blower set to 9 is fine, but you loose the radiant heat with the heat set under 5.

This is a great stove once tuned in, the trick with this stove is to keep it clean in the heat exchanger area, every 3 or 4 days clean it out completely.

I've spent loads of time with this stove, so much time that I even made some changes to the burn pot so that it burns hotter (do a search here under my name for details that I have posted here on this site).

Thanks CladMaster, I am checking out your post now. Have you ever installed a thermostat on one of these stoves.

Thanks CladMaster, I am checking out your post now. Have you ever installed a thermostat on one of these stoves.

Your welcome.

As for the stat, no, never needed to.

Stove will be moved to the basement in the spring, a stat will be fitted to it then so I can keep the basement above 35F.

i was looking for the thread about the modifications but couldnt find it. could you post a link to it?

Stove seems to be working great right now. House is stay around 70 to 71. Last few days in KY has been warmer and we have run it on very low settings, which I was very thankful for because we were getting low on pellets. Lowe's in Morehead, KY just got them in and I puchased a ton just now. I found 10% discount online and it worked. So we got a ton for $224.10. The receipt is not showing that taxes were charged, so I am wondering what the heck is going on there.

Most places do not charge TAX for wood pellets, all down to state by state.

Wood pellets are here in Maine tax free.

Most places do not charge TAX for wood pellets, all down to state by state.

Wood pellets are here in Maine tax free.

Apparently it is the same for Kentucky. That makes purchasing a pellet stove all the more better. I am hoping we get some kind of tax credit for the stove.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.