New stove off- gassing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lharth

Oct 27, 2015
Canada
Hey guys, I've recently installed a new Blaze King Sirocco 30.1 (free standing) wood stove. As expected during the first burn, I got some off gasing that was expected with a new stove (chemical smelling odorous light smoke/haze). I aired out the house and it was all good. 2 weeks to the day after installing (and WETT certifying) the stove and burning hot fires around the clock, I got another round of these gases coming off the stove pipe. My carbon monoxide detector even set off this time. Can anybody shed some light on this? Has it happened to you? Should I be concerned for my health? I've emailed BK this morning and am awaiting a call back.

Give me your thoughts or experiences in this matter and let me know if it's normal, odd, concerning or what?

Thanks everyone,

L

2 weeks to the day after installing (and WETT certifying) the stove and burning hot fires around the clock, I got another round of these gases coming off the stove pipe.
Was this during the bypass-open stage with fresh wood or during the bypass closed stage, burning on the cat?
The first case could be that the flue gases in the stove pipe got quite hot. A flue thermometer would show this. The second case could be a minor chimney fire.

begreen,
It occurred just after the morning reload with the bypass open. Perhaps, it was some off gasing on the double wall stove pipe that hadn't yet been exposed to real high temps yet? This morning is the warmest outside temp I've experienced since burning in this new stove. Does outside temp have anything to do with how hot the flue gas can get just above the stove inside my house? I don't feel like it would have any bearing on it.

I doubt a chimney fire as I cleaned the whole stove just a week ago and I burn seasoned wood. I will definitely invest in a flue thermometer tho.

Thanks for the insight and suggestions.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I have had some high temps in the double-wall stove pipe that have caused it to off-gas this year. This was due to a gasket failure. The smell was strong even though the pipe is 10 yrs old. Inside temp had reached almost 1200ºF.

This year on our stove I have switched to paying more attention to flue temps than stove top temps. They get out of hand much more quickly than the mass of steel in the stove top.

PS: Congratulations on the new stove and welcome to Hearth.com.

begreen,
It occurred just after the morning reload with the bypass open. Perhaps, it was some off gasing on the double wall stove pipe that hadn't yet been exposed to real high temps yet? This morning is the warmest outside temp I've experienced since burning in this new stove. Does outside temp have anything to do with how hot the flue gas can get just above the stove inside my house? I don't feel like it would have any bearing on it.

I doubt a chimney fire as I cleaned the whole stove just a week ago and I burn seasoned wood. I will definitely invest in a flue thermometer tho.

Thanks for the insight and suggestions.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
BKVP here....no worries, your pipe just got hot enough to cure the paint at the peak temp. I had this happen the other day on a two year old Princess that had been run on low it's entire life. After a great sweeping, I told them to let it rip...they did and now is all good.

It turns out, there was a Warnock Hersey sticker on the back of the stove pipe that I didn't see during install and it was sort of half burnt. This was probably the culprit of the smoke that set off my CO detector (combined with some residual off gassing). I've been burning hot for the last 2 days with no issues.

I love my Blaze King Sirocco 30.1.

Thanks for the replies and insight into the issue.

Cheers guys