New Stove ..... Issues .... please help!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotulf3cb

Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2009
Philly
I just had my Jotul F3CB (first stove) installed on Thursday and completed the burn-in fires according to schedule. All went fine using kindling and I saw secondary burns numerous times.
This is my current issue:
1) My wood is obviously wet (17%) according to moisture meter. Prior to starting the fire using kindling I make sure I have a good draft going up using a torch. When I have a good fire going with kindling I add one log at a time and hear sizzling. A minute or so in I see dark smoke in the stove which obviously goes straight out my chimney. It takes about 40-45 minutes to get the stove to 450*-500*. Am I destined to have a dark smokey season this year because of wet wood? Am I doing something wrong? My entire block smells smokey!! Please help....

17% is actually not a bad reading. But based on the description, I am guessing it might read twice that if the wood was split open and the fresh surface was read with the meter. This is probably the most common occurrence reported by new stove owners. It's why we recommend getting wood in the spring and letting it dry all summer.

You might try splitting a few wheelbarrows worth of wood in half and put it in a dry place like the garage or basement. That can help dry it out more quickly.

The wood will eventually dry out. How quickly will depend on how and where it's stored. If you can, try to find some truly dry wood for now and set aside the current stack for late winter/early spring.

Can you buy some kiln dried wood to mix with the wood that seems smokey? OR is the wood ok and you have not opened the dampers totally?

Dampers are completely open .... wood sizzles and takes awhile to light ....... So bottom line .... is it safe to assume that the wet wood is causing the black/grey smoke coming out of the stack?

Yaron2 said:
Dampers are completely open .... wood sizzles and takes awhile to light ....... So bottom line .... is it safe to assume that the wet wood is causing the black/grey smoke coming out of the stack?

Yup sounds like you have some unseasoned wood there.. I would do as the moderator suggested and save that wood for next year...

Ray

One of my neighbors has wood (1/4 cord) that has been sitting stacked uncovered in his backyard for 5-6 years ...... left over from previous owner. He doesn't burn and is happy to offer it to me. Any reason not to take it? Anything I should be looking for? I don't want infested or rotted wood....

Yaron2 said:

That's correct, dry wood does not sizzle and bubble on the ends. When the stove is first lit from the cold, it may smoke a bit for the first 10-20 minutes depending on the kindling used and starting method. Once the secondary burning gets going in full swing there should be no black smoke.

Currently we are burning nice dry alder and I have a lot of cedar shake scraps for kindling. The fire starts with just a little smoke and is burning hot and clean after 10 minutes.

If the neighbor's wood is dry, off the ground and not getting punky from rot, it may be worth a try.

rotten wood burns good too. if it comes down to rotten or sizzling wood id go with rotten. look threw the pile most times the real bad rotten stuff is just by the ground and stuff in the middle really doesn't get to wet. also make sure u get stove going good and hot before u put big splits in try the top down method. i learned it on here it works great look it up in old posts. get old pallets, kiln dried wood, ask around friends neighbors.

I used to use rotten wood in my bee smoker because it smoked so much. When it's punky, I relegate the wood to compost.

As mentioned above, your problem is wet wood.
Get some known dry wood even if it's some lumber (no PT, no paint) and fire it up and notice the difference.
I've had to split it up real small one year and it helped a bit but really there is no real shortcut to drying wood.

Rule #1: No wet wood in the Temple
Rule #2: Do not forget Rule #1

Status
Not open for further replies.