New Stove Choice of Cat or downdraft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddown

Hearth Supporter
Considering a Dutchwest Large Cat. not a lot of complaints about them. And they seem to have much cheaper replacement parts costs than an Encore from VC. Can't afford Much more looked at Lopi Leyden, Dutchwest downdraft seems as hard if not harder to run than Cat stove. Had a Englander cooked us out looking for long period of even heat and a good 10hr burn. Wood is great dry 5 years split stored 1 cord in garage since summer and flue is 40' with damper. Suggestions? Cant afford a Woodstock and have already used tax credit.

Quoted Price is 1538 on Large Cat Dutchwest seems to be a great deal

I to considered a downdraft stove before reading about the problems some here have reported. I found a used Fireview and never looked back.

Craigslist is amazing but I use SearchTempest most of the time for larger items, like a wood stove, that I'm willing to drive for.

If I had to pick, I'd go with the Dutchwest Cat.

Around here they are known as the backpuffing machine from hell. Maybe your 40ft chimney will be the key to succes for this animal. ;-)

ddown said:
... downdraft seems as hard if not harder to run than Cat stove.

Agree. Plus downdraft will go through the wood faster.

+1 to all the replies above.

From what I've read, the cat is the better bet for efficient, easy operation.

As an aside, is DutchWest a VC brand?

HTH, and good luck.

KevinG said:
Craigslist is amazing but I use SearchTempest most of the time for larger items, like a wood stove, that I'm willing to drive for.

Thanks Kevin, great tip. Looks like it searches CraigsList, Ebay, etc.

Ok,

Went to the store looked at the stoves. After much decision I decided on the Dutchwest 2478 NC {so called NeverBurn}
All I can say after three days with it I wish all stoves were this easy maybe it's just my setup.

Upon establishing coal bed maybe 30-40 minutes I can load it up and watch it slowly operate as follows:

Start out at probe about 600 Magnetic 300-325 Stovetop 450
Climbs during 1/2 hr 800 400 Stovetop 475
2hrs 650 325 Stovetop 500
6hrs 575 300 Stovetop 450
Some where between 8-10 hrs later I break up whats left push toward shoe and reload get probe to 600 and reengage Everburn

I am amazed at the even Stable burn no stalling soothing sound of woosh or rumble you know it's working.
Glass staying clean

I have 9' of Single Wall 22 gauge with 2 90s 24' of Security Class A Chimney currently 20 degrees

After three days I think I get a real value with other stoves I was fighting my draft and short burn times.

Sounds good, glad that's working out well for you!

6 hours an the stove top still at 600, that would be nice. Congrats on the new stove. One of these days I may have one worth talking aboujt :)

Congratulations on the new stove ddown. It sounds like it is working out well. No doubt the biggest factor in that is your well-seasoned wood. Five years since split is great! If everyone would do that most of their problems would not exist.

Thanks,

I know it's dry and i've got 4 more years stacked.

Thanks

BTW a few users in Livingston County having good luck with everburn wonder if it's a Michigan thing.

Naw. It's just this good Michigan wood and nice people!

Congrats Ddown, on your purchase, and fantastic experience with a stove that some find challenging.

ddown said:
Ok,

I have 9' of Single Wall 22 gauge with 2 90s 24' of Security Class A Chimney currently 20 degrees

After three days I think I get a real value with other stoves I was fighting my draft and short burn times.

Is this one key to success with an everburn stove? Starting out over-flued and over-drafted?

Am I wrong to think that 33' of vertical pipe--maybe 28' equivalent after the 90s and single wall--likely has awesome draft?

I think I have a pipe damper in stove pipe let the damper where it was. Worked but once I got the Everburn going opened the damper and not a problem I think these downdraft stove like draft. As a side note my probe thermometer is now just gray instead of black soot. Every year when the the sweep come he says looks good. This year hoping he will say even better:-)

Status
Not open for further replies.