New OWB installed. Sort of.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

wvwoodchuck

Hearth Supporter
Jun 14, 2009
WV
I finally got it in and hooked up. I haven't hooked up the t-stat yet, but we're using the manual feature on the existing t-stat to turn the blower on and get the heat in the house.
The last two nights my wife has had the house 78 degrees. The good thing is she is so excited to get it, she went and bought HERSELF a chainsaw to help me.

I'm not sure I have the thermostat wiring right in my head. I'm just going to use the OWB thermostat to turn the existing furnace blower on. The secondary thermostat is going to be used if we're not home for the weekend or the stoves burns out. Suggestions?

Diasable the Barbie saw :grrr: She'll end up putting gas in it or hurting herself or sumpin'

When the house and/or DHW getts good and Hott, the WAF goes through the roof. You will be surprised what you can do with that high of a WAF :coolsmirk:

Oh . . .to answer your t-stat question . . . I have no idea

[quote author="ISeeDeadBTUs" date="1288995497"]When the house and/or DHW getts good and Hott, the WAF goes through the roof. You will be surprised what you can do with that high of a WAF :coolsmirk: ]

yep, I'm getting a new TV without a hassle...well sort of, she won't let me get the REALLY BIG ONE!...and she wants me to go get a hydraulic splitter and a new saw. I'm just not sure where the $$ is coming from though.

Of course, other benefits are to be had too...esp on her night off from work and a few cocktails in the cozy living room.

There are a couple different ways to hook up the thermostat to turn on the blower. The way that it was easiest for my house was I have central air, so I just ran a second thermostat hooked up to the same wires that run the air conditioner on the furnace. I then just turn off the power to the outside air conditioner unit during the heating season. When my second thermostat (one for the wood heat) sends power to my furnace, it only turns on the blower like it would for air conditioning. This way I have my main thermostat set at 55 degrees for gas heat in case something happens and it will turn on the gas portion if needed.

sdrobertson said:
There are a couple different ways to hook up the thermostat to turn on the blower. The way that it was easiest for my house was I have central air, so I just ran a second thermostat hooked up to the same wires that run the air conditioner on the furnace. I then just turn off the power to the outside air conditioner unit during the heating season. When my second thermostat (one for the wood heat) sends power to my furnace, it only turns on the blower like it would for air conditioning. This way I have my main thermostat set at 55 degrees for gas heat in case something happens and it will turn on the gas portion if needed.

I have central air too, that sounds like a good idea.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Diasable the Barbie saw :grrr: She'll end up putting gas in it or hurting herself or sumpin'

When the house and/or DHW getts good and Hott, the WAF goes through the roof. You will be surprised what you can do with that high of a WAF :coolsmirk:

Missed it....WAF ? what that ?

flyingcow said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

Missed it....WAF ? what that ?

Ha Ha... You would be surprised what can happen to you when you have a high WAF

Clicky clicky...WAF

Just make sure to keep the MIF down

So far the WAF is pretty high. ;-)

If I disable the Barbie saw then I'll have to do it all myself. :bug: She can run the rancher, but it's a little too heavy for her.

wvwoodchuck said:
She can run the rancher, but it's a little too heavy for her.

LOL, the Rancher is a Barbie saw . . .

You should let the professionals here evaluate whether your wife should be running that saw. They'll need a pic of the subject -with the saw in her hands if possible- to get a general idea about the proportional suitability . . .

I'll see what I can do about the pictures. That sounds like it would be a good thread too.

Status
Not open for further replies.