New Osburn Inspire 2000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Samcanadian

Nov 12, 2019
Winnipeg, Canada
We just had our brand new Osburn Inspire 2000 installed yesterday into our living room.

I had a 1/4" piece of steel sheet laser cut to our exact dimensions and laid that down in the corner for a non combustible base. My existing chimney is 6"x9" (see original thread here for my basic noob questions: THREAD) and the guys were able to fit a DuraVent liner down the chimney, owing to the near perfect condition of it. They mentioned if there was any shifting in the chimney at all they wouldn't have been able to get it down.

Anyway, I've had a couple burns in it already (Did an initial burn for about 2 hours to get the factory stink off) and I started a fire for my wife this morning before I left for work. Our chimney is about 18' tall, and this thing draws like a mother! Using seasoned Pine right now to get a little practice in getting my fires going and will eventually start looking for some hardwood for overnight burns.

This unit comes with a blower installed and I haven't used it too much, but I can see it being useful to get some air moving in the living room/kitchen area to heat up the main floor.
New Osburn Inspire 2000New Osburn Inspire 2000

Wow. That is the very stove that I had been considering. On another thread there was a question of the draw with this stove if an elbow immediately exited this stove, particularly with my chimney probably being only slightly higher than yours. I'd like to hear any futher comments about it as you get used to using it.

Wow. That is the very stove that I had been considering. On another thread there was a question of the draw with this stove if an elbow immediately exited this stove, particularly with my chimney probably being only slightly higher than yours. I'd like to hear any futher comments about it as you get used to using it.
I'll keep this thread updated if I find out anything weird. One thing I can vouch for is the seemingly exceptional build quality of this unit. The joints are straight, the unit is sturdy and everything fits very well together. I can see it lasting for a long time. The blower unit at the lowest setting pushes a decent amount of warm air and it's no louder than a small space heater.

I just purchased this stove as a insert for my home and will be installing it in a few weeks when it arrives. Any insight you would be willing to share would be much appreciated, not many real world reviews of this on the web.

I just purchased this stove as a insert for my home and will be installing it in a few weeks when it arrives. Any insight you would be willing to share would be much appreciated, not many real world reviews of this on the web.
We've been burning nothing but Jackpine for roughly a month now, and we're very happy with the unit. Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

I've got a similar stove, Osburn Matrix, identical firebox just different exterior look. The new 2020 models have more secondary air, and different min and max burn settings though.

I can get 8-10 hour burns. Meaning after that time I have enough coals left to rake forward, set the wood on, and start the next fire. This is burning, pine, spruce or white birch. The softwoods are closer to 8hrs, the birch 10hrs.

How large of an area are you heating? Does the glass stay clean? I'm in MN and considering an Osburn. -5 F for a high today. Really wishing I had a wood stove right now. Wished these Osburn stoves qualified for the 2021 EPA Tax Credits. Looks like the 3300 and 3500 are around 71%.

I'm heating 2100sqft between 3 floors, stove in basement. House built in 2014, R22 walls, R50 in attic, R12 on inside of basement walls, all double pane argon filled windows.

Yes the glass stays clean if you have dry wood and don't smolder the fire.

The daytime high peaked at -26c (-15f) here today. When I woke up the house was at 19c (66f) which is the furnace setting, it's now 22c (71.6f) inside and the furnace hasn't run all day, but I've burnt 3 full loads in the stove since was lit at 7am this morning, (it's 5:45pm here now), and another full load was just put in, and another load will go in at about 10:00pm.

It's supposed to hit -40 here tonight. At these temps the stove won't keep the house warm enough all night, and the furnace will probably kick in about 2 am. -40 is a chore for this stove, it can solely heat the house if wood is added every 2.5hrs, but it's on the ragged edge of over firing to do that. I usually burn it fairly hard and let the natural gas furnace take up the slack.

I don't have this particular stove but I wanted to chime in on Osburn as a brand. I run a 1600 insert and I'm very happy with the quality. My chimney sweep is also a big fan of the stove. It's well built and pumps out a lot of heat for it's size.

PS - That matrix freestander is sharp. Looks real nice in that room.

I'm considering this stove, but I'm curious of your thoughts on the door handle. Watching a youtube video of the stove it appears somewhat difficult to access and might result in some burnt hands. Any thoughts on this now you've been operating this for over a year? Thanks!

I think I recall seeing in a video they supply a tool for opening the door while it's hot. Just a like a mini extension hook to grab the handle with.

Reactions: Bushfire