New large wood stove and fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New large wood stove and  fireplace insert New large wood stove and  fireplace insert

Yesterday I ended up purchasing a Kuma Sequoia freestanding wood stove for the basement, and a PE Summit insert for the first floor fireplace. I have the Kuma in the basement not setup yet, the PE is still in the crate in the garage. Thanks for the input from everyone that chimned in, the info was greatly appreciated. I will keep updates with the installs, and use as time goes on looking forward to using both these heat monsters this fall and winter.

Nice choices. Hook em up, give them dry wood and be comfy.

Can't wait to fire them up!

That Kuma Sequoia looks so good, I love simple designs. Have you figured out either installing heavy duty single wall pipe or dvl?

Single wall pipe to the thimble to a masonry chimney.

New large wood stove and  fireplace insert New large wood stove and  fireplace insert New large wood stove and  fireplace insert
Installed the insert today, perfect fit. A new liner and all wish I had more pictures was trying to beat the rain. There are four black bolts that came in a package inside the insert but I don't know what they are for. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• New large wood stove and  fireplace insert
    image.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't installed a PE in a while but could they be screw in leveling bolts?? Nice install and wow, you are ready. Good luck.

Nice looking insert! Not sure about the PE summit insert but the freestanding stove sure is a winner. My Summit Classic heat wonderfully, looks awesome, functions flawlessly, keeps the glass surgically clean, and burns through the night. I wake up late on Saturday and I still have live coals ready to re-ignite any splits thrown on them. I really could not be more pleased with my Summit. It is exactly why I bought an Alderlea T5 this weekend. I figured I couldn't go wrong. I don't know if I'd like the cat stoves because part of my pay back for cutting, splitting, and stacking firewood is a nice fire to view. I understand that the cat stoves lack in the fire viewing area.....ie, small fires. I would be interested in hearing if you agree with that after burning with the Sequoia (which I believe is a cat stove, correct me if wrong).

The bolts are for leveling once I started doing more digging into the paper work. The sequoia is a cat stove, I'm very curious myself since I have never used a cat stove before. I hope the sequoia lives up to what kuma and others have said it can do. I believe I will be very pleased with both units, I have done a lot of research and gotten plenty of good advise from the knowledgeable people here on the forum. I hope this warm weather sticks around for awhile, but if not I have plenty of wood to feed both the summit and sequoia to stay warm this winter. Put some pics up once you have the alderlea T5 installed can't wait to see it.

There was a piece of paper in with the manual quality control checklist. They had four leveling bolts on that list. Is that not what they are for?

Just talked with chimney sweep they said they are for leveling the insert. If not needed just discard or use for something else. Thanks Begreen.

Yes, I missed your second posting.

Looking forward to hearing about the Sequoia in operation.

I will have plenty of updates for both once we start burning. I'm very interested for the sequoia myself, should be a monster heater.

New large wood stove and  fireplace insert

It's all ready to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.