New install of Englander 17-vl with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Corrugated. I'm using duratech chimney pipe. I figure all the dsa flashing works about the same. I guess I should just use duratech flashing. It will probably fit my pipe better.
corrugated metal is a real pita to flash correctly

Whats an E/W loader?
A shallow stove that is wider than deep. E/W means the wood has to be loaded parallel with the front door. N/S means wood loaded parallel with the stove sides. These are typically deeper stoves with the advantage that the logs don't roll up against the glass.

Personally I like an almost square firebox that can be loaded either direction.

Ok thanks I was just wondering. I'm installing an Englander 17-VL. It sure is tiny but has good reviews and I have a very small house. I grew up running a Vermont down drafter at my parents house it was huge. This small stove is going to take some getting used to. I'm definitely going to watch how long I cut my wood. Our old down drafter would take about any size wood you wanted to feed it.

I have a question about the 17-VL. The fire brick in the top of the stove does not completely cover the top of the fire box. Should it be towards the front, back, or in the center above the secondary burn tubes?

I have a question about the 17-VL. The fire brick in the top of the stove does not completely cover the top of the fire box. Should it be towards the front, back, or in the center above the secondary burn tubes?

The baffle board sitting on the secondary tubes should be all the way to the rear of the stove.

It should lay flat on top of the secondary burn tubes and be pushed all the way to the back leaving a slight gap at the front of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.