New hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It won't melt. It can decompose, it can become viscous through a glass transition. It's tough to say not knowing the material system. But there will be no phase transition to a liquid state, aka melting.

Point is that some property will change leading to it not performing as it will at room temperature.
So, is it safe?

So, is it safe?
I don't know. Embers are hotter than 475, so when you have something fall out, something will happen. Whether that is a real safety hazard or only an aesthetic hazard is impossible to say from here ...

So, is it safe?

IIRC the initial inquiry was for a polished cement hearth. Due to its non-combustible nature, that was an easy product to endorse as safe.

This is the first time that I can recall in 17 yrs. that I have seen a cast epoxy resin hearth. It is not a commonly used or documented product for a wood stove hearth. We have no testing data that documents its safety or behavior when exposed to frequent warm-ups, especially in front of the stove where the radiant heat can be strong for hours. We have no testing data on its behavior under these conditions. Will it outgas, soften, or discolor over time? Unknown. Additionally, stoves can vary greatly in their hearth insulation requirements. We have no R or K value for cast epoxy. For all these reasons, we can't say it is safe. There is no testing data from an accredited UL lab. Perhaps ask the stove manufacturer or insurance company if they would approve this product for a hearth?

Last edited:
IIRC the initial inquiry was for a polished cement hearth. Due to its non-combustible nature, that was an easy product to endorse as safe.

This is the first time that I can recall in 17 yrs. that I have seen a cast epoxy resin hearth. It is not a commonly used or documented product for a wood stove hearth. We have no testing data that documents its safety or behavior when exposed to frequent warm-ups, especially in front of the stove where the radiant heat can be strong for hours. We have no testing data on its behavior under these conditions. Will it outgas, soften, or discolor over time? Unknown. Additionally, stoves can vary greatly in their hearth insulation requirements. We have no R or K value for cast epoxy. For all these reasons, we can't say it is safe. There is no testing data from an accredited UL lab. Perhaps ask the stove manufacturer or insurance company if they would approve this product for a hearth?
Thank you. The hearth was going to be concrete, but of course I had to make things difficult. I don’t know how much this matters yet, but the hearth doesn’t need an R factor, and the epoxy is 1/8 inch thick.

Thank you. The hearth was going to be concrete, but of course I had to make things difficult. I don’t know how much this matters yet, but the hearth doesn’t need an R factor, and the epoxy is 1/8 inch thick.
Your hearth pad does have good r value and is non-combustible though. The only issue is what will happen with the epoxy when temps go past the rated temperature.

The hearth they made on the other hand was an mdf core with epoxy over it. That is a safety concern to me for sure. Which is why I honestly wouldn't trust their advice.

The hearth they made on the other hand was an mdf core with epoxy over it. That is a safety concern to me for sure. Which is why I honestly wouldn't trust their advice.
That plus ignoring the stove rear clearance spec and what appeared to be running the stovepipe through a stud enclosure with clearances ignored there too.

Reactions: bholler
Your hearth pad does have good r value and is non-combustible though. The only issue is what will happen with the epoxy when temps go past the rated temperature.

I’m waiting to hear back from Drolet about the glass hearth. Do you think that would work? I’m so desperate and disappointed…. I shouldn’t have relied on the people selling me the stuff! Does someone make clear cement?? Just kidding….

Here’s an update on our hearth. One thing leads to another, we got new flooring since we decided to get a new hearth and wood stove.🙄. Due to the uncertainty of the epoxy and the heat, we ordered a custom made piece of tempered glass. The epoxy is only 1/8” thick, the glass sits down a bit with about a 3/8” space between the glass and the rim of the hearth. We experimented with led lights and decided to order a length to go all the way around. We got some granite pieces (samples from Home Depot) and put felt on the bottom to go under the legs of the stove . The stove is going in on Wednesday, pictures to follow! Plus a bonus pic of one of my Halloween decorations 👻

New hearth New hearth New hearth New hearth New hearth New hearth New hearth New hearth

Here’s an update on our hearth. One thing leads to another, we got new flooring since we decided to get a new hearth and wood stove.🙄. Due to the uncertainty of the epoxy and the heat, we ordered a custom made piece of tempered glass. The epoxy is only 1/8” thick, the glass sits down a bit with about a 3/8” space between the glass and the rim of the hearth. We experimented with led lights and decided to order a length to go all the way around. We got some granite pieces (samples from Home Depot) and put felt on the bottom to go under the legs of the stove . The stove is going in on Wednesday, pictures to follow! Plus a bonus pic of one of my Halloween decorations 👻

View attachment 300168 View attachment 300169 View attachment 300170 View attachment 300171 View attachment 300172 View attachment 300173 View attachment 300174 View attachment 300175
No comments? 😕