New hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hokypuk

Apr 12, 2022
Vt
This is our new DIY hearth pad for camp. We’re so pleased with the way it came out!

New hearth New hearth New hearth New hearth New hearth New hearth

Reactions: MikeK
That is one of a kind. It almost looks like smoke. What was the process involved to make it from the old hearthpad?

Wow!
What is the material?

That is one of a kind. It almost looks like smoke. What was the process involved to make it from the old hearthpad?
I found a hearth pad at our local stove shop with no tiles. We chipped the mortar out, researched the epoxy process, and found a suitable high temp epoxy after many phone calls to manufacturers. After a million more questions and phone calls to Stone Coat Epoxy, we ordered our product and went for it!

It looks honestly fantastic.
I would be a bit concerned though about this being suitable as an ember shield?
Hi-temp Epoxy is still flammable imo.

I went to their website but can not find any product sheets that would list the temperature range. It may be ok, but it would be good to know what temp range it is approved for. I am not finding any high temp epoxies listed, but maybe they sell on special order?

Hi-temp Epoxy is still flammable imo.
Yes, it's a resin. Normal epoxy will distort around 300º, high temp is supposed to be ok up to 600º. Assuming this is a 2part epoxy, although one part is flammable before mixed with the hardener, once cured I think it is considered not flammable.

EDIT: I found on another site that StoneCoat is rated at 500º.

Last edited:
That seems to be the consensus online indeed.
I do read though that it may give of fumes if getting too hot (an ember lands on it).

Seems to not be an (immediate) safety hazard, though obviously you want to avoid dropping embers on it - for mainly aesthetic reasons, and fumes.

If I were you, I'd ask the mfg for the msds (that should hopefully give you a clear case that this is not a fire hazard) - and file that with your insurance papers.

Have to say, the StoneCoat folks are enthusiastic about their craft, but I would not trust them with a woodstove installation based on this video. Clearances to combustibles for the stove and thimble are disregarded.

Note that they used a topcoat for added scratch resistance and to soften the gloss.

I do read though that it may give of fumes if getting too hot (an ember lands on it).

Seems to not be an (immediate) safety hazard, though obviously you want to avoid dropping embers on it - for mainly aesthetic reasons, and fumes.

If I were you, I'd ask the mfg for the msds (that should hopefully give you a clear case that this is not a fire hazard) - and file that with your insurance papers.
This is

Does this help? New hearthNew hearth

StoneCast makes it clear that thick resin will outgas and recommends heat (in an oven) to help reduce outgassing. The heat from the stove may do the same.

Have to say, the StoneCoat folks are enthusiastic about their craft, but I would not trust them with a woodstove installation based on this video. Clearances to combustibles for the stove and thimble are disregarded.

Note that they used a topcoat for added scratch resistance and to soften the gloss.

They say in the comments it's only rated to 475 absolutely nowhere near high enough

Reactions: stoveliker
Reactions: bholler
What is considered nonflammable? What size tempered glass would I need if it’s not suitable?
Non flammable doesn't have a temperature rating it has a flammability rating of non-combustible. You would need a piece of glass large enough to cover the stoves hearth requirements

Non flammable doesn't have a temperature rating it has a flammability rating of non-combustible. You would need a piece of glass large enough to cover the stoves hearth requirements
I’m confused. What does the temperature rating have to do with combustability?

I’m confused. What does the temperature rating have to do with combustability?
The 475º rating is the temperature at which the product starts to outgas combustible fumes which also are likely toxic. The product may soften at temps lower than this.

I'd say it's more broadly: the temperature rating is the limit below which the properties remain (sufficiently) similar to their design parameters that all is fine. Combustability is simply whether it can combust when in contact with embers or something hotter. (I didn't check the definition of the latter.)

It won't melt. It can decompose, it can become viscous through a glass transition. It's tough to say not knowing the material system. But there will be no phase transition to a liquid state, aka melting.

Point is that some property will change leading to it not performing as it will at room temperature.

Would a tempered glass piece 42x42 suffice? I’ll really hoping I don’t have to go that route…. I sent Stone Coat an email regarding this issue.

New hearth New hearth New hearth