New Harman P68 "burn in" going to be a stinker?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 29, 2021
VA, east central
Just got my P68, it's now sitting in my basement next to my wood stove that's still running. I've unwrapped it and just sitting there next to a warm/hot stove it's got a noticeable fresh paint smell coming off of it.
How long does it take for the paint to bake in and the smell go away? I think I might just fire it up outside a few times before the install.

I would run it WOT outside for 2 hours + or till it stops smoking, it may take a good 10 hours + before all fumes have dissipated/cured. They don't give away those p68's, $5900 plus 13% $6667.00 CAD and I'm sure they add some carbon tax to it up here. Beauty stove.

Last edited:
I would run it WOT outside for 2 hours + or till it stops smoking, it may take a good 10 hours + before all fumes have dissipated/cured. They don't give away those p68's, $5900 plus 13% $6667.00 CAD and I'm sure they add some carbon tax to it up here. Beauty stove.
It was approx $4300 plus around $250 tax here in Virginia.
I'll be sure to run it outside first!

They all stink. Some more, some less but they all do it.

Just did my first start up/burn-in outside today and I'm glad I did. This stove smelled horrible, I can't imagine having that stench inside and having to air the house out, not to mention brain cells killed in the process. I ran it for just over an hour in stove temp mode with it cranked to the max during the last half an hour. I think I saw a spot or two on the stove just reach 700 F on my IR gun. Seems like the off gassing was mostly gone by that point; I'm ready to install it. Hopefully there's not much smell left.

The stove shop where I bought both of my Harmans test burns every stove before it leaves their shop.