New guy with a venting conundrum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you but I'm a golden guy. Been involved with golden rescue since 1985. I always say that goldens are much like labs but with long fur. My two are incredible dogs. Both are Therapy dogs and they are calm, loving, intelligent companions.

It's funny, because while Sam loves all friendly dogs, and will happily play with any dogs, he absolutely loves Retrievers best. You could almost see the wheels turning the first few times he interacted with Goldens- he too thought they were especially attractive Labbies. Goldens don't walk or run, they glide, with their long fur flowing in the breeze behind them. Sort of like the Fabio of the dog world. :)

We brought Sam home when he was about 14 weeks old, ergo we had about a month of "puppy quarantine" during which he was finishing up his shots. The vet, who has known Sam since Sam was just a planned breeding between a dam and a sire, who has taken care of all of these dogs, put the righteous fear of God in me about parvo and other ailments that can sneak around a puppy's immunity before the puppy shots are completed and the dog has an adequate immune response to the inoculations. We could not allow Sam around unknown adult dogs, dogs who might be carriers of parvo and other diseases, dog feces, food bowls, water bowls or toys onto which other dogs may have slobbered, you get the picture.

So we were faced with the critical socialization period plus the quarantine period happening simultaneously, and we live in an area with lots and lots of dogs who are walked along the same sidewalks and streets to which we have daily access. And Lab puppies need lots of exercise and outdoor time, etc. etc.

It was an interesting month of discovery and terror. GOOD GRIEF I HAD NO IDEA THAT THERE WAS UNKNOWN DOG FECES EVERY FREAKIN' WHERE UNTIL I HAD TO KEEP A PUPPY STONE COLD OUT OF IT.

Anyway, we were at the very end of this quarantine period, and we were out walking Sam in the neighborhood one evening, when around the corner floated, literally floated, a gorgeous Golden with his owner. He floated toward us on air, feet barely touching the pavement, silky golden hair flowing behind him, like some sort of Golden Retriever Vision.

Sam saw that retriever face and lost his little puppy mind. He was fresh off of the breeder's farm, where he'd grown up with many Retriever playmates. This month of quarantine was the longest he'd been without fellow canine companionship.

The Golden floated congenially toward Sam, all "What's up, Little Guy? It's all good!" and Sam was all "I WILL SAY HELLO TO THIS DOG!"

So like it or not, we were interacting with this gorgeous and friendly Golden and his owner.

I was filled with anxiety because I didn't know this dog from anybody, nor the owner, so I had no idea of the dog's health history. I was running the clip in my head of me trying to explain to the vet how my dog got sick because I let him interact with a dog I didn't know, JUST SOME DOG ON THE STREET, and how saying BUT IT WAS A GORGEOUS GOLDEN WHO FLOATED TOWARD US ON CLOUDS WITH ANGELS WINGS probably would not cut it.

I finally found my voice and asked, as tactfully as I could, if this Golden had any disease history, if he could be any sort of carrier, and if he was up to date on his shots.

The owner looked at me, a bit startled and caught off guard, but she answered completely and promptly, and she could see the stress on my face. I explained the vet's instructions, the quarantine period and The Fear of God. She understood immediately, thank goodness.

"Oh yes," she said. "We are up to date on all of our shots - and our grooming and spa treatments as well. Did you see him prance down the street toward you? He knows that he's beautiful. Up to date on his shots? I'm surprised that he's not demanding Botox!"

We all had a good laugh at that.

I think about that now, every time I see a Golden glide by with that happy, cheerful, "YES I'M GORGEOUS!" demeanor. Oh yes, Goldens are gorgeous and don't think that they don't know it! Thank goodness they are too friendly, loyal and lovable to be vain!

I'm with you but I'm a golden guy. Been involved with golden rescue since 1985. I always say that goldens are much like labs but with long fur. My two are incredible dogs. Both are Therapy dogs and they are calm, loving, intelligent companions.

P.S. Love the new avatar, ChandlerR! :) :) <:3~

LOL Beca! You're like me...don't get me started talking about dogs...I could go on and on...and on...We have a dear friend, who's a vet, who breeds labbies. Her kennel name is Seal Cove Retrievers. She breeds field labs...the stocky, muscular, retrieving and swimming machines that have incredible energy, yet come with an off switch. One of her dogs won the breed at Westminster one year. Anywho, we regularly get together at (another) friends campground, in the off season where we have 300 acres of fields and ponds to let the dogs run and play. My dogs love the water, but her dogs just put mine to shame in pure athleticism.
I hear ya on the socialization. My male is a show dog, now retired, (http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=336013) who has sired several litters of puppies, three of which my wife, grandaughter and I have been involved with since birth. That breeder is incredible and we learned so much in what makes a good, healthy, well rounded dog. What's even cooler is we all stay in touch with all the puppy owners and have get togethers a few times a year.
At this stage in my life I want a dog who is calm, friendly, loving, and eager to please...oh, and they have to love kids.
This picture says it all..
New guy with a venting conundrum

Reactions: becasunshine
Yes, Thimble is almost 9" in diameter and yes, I add Roxul between the pipe and the thimble. You can use fiberglass around the outside of the thimble inside the wall.

Outside the thimble is ok.....but isn't the area BETWEEN the pipe and the thimble an engineered airspace?? Kinda like packing insulation around your car engine?

Outside the thimble is ok.....but isn't the area BETWEEN the pipe and the thimble an engineered airspace?? Kinda like packing insulation around your car engine?

That seems logical; however, an air gap between the pipe and the thimble that allows cold air to pass does not. I understand and agree with what you are saying but I believe that that the thimble is designed in such a way that the pipe could actually be in direct contact with the thimble and not pose a problem. The non combustible properties of Roxul, combined with its R value, along with the air cooling of the DT pipe via the OAK should provide the protection necessary. Thoughts? I dont want to mess this up!

Sorry for the delayed response! :oops:

Ok...I re-read the thread...and tried to sort out all of the geography and dog comments and just concentrate on the pellet stuff. I know Duravent specifically warns against putting insulation between the pellet pipe and the inside of the thimble. DT being a different design, probably has different recommendations. I tried to read their literature, but was unable to find anything to directly related to using insulation in the airspace. I guess if I was in doubt, I would contact them direct. But back to common sense, if the airspace wasn't required (to be airspace), why would it be designed that way????

Sorry about that Mikkeeh...Some subjects just get us off track...Geography, dogs, cats...well maybe not so much...and beer.

Reactions: becasunshine
Ok...I re-read the thread...and tried to sort out all of the geography and dog comments and just concentrate on the pellet stuff. I know Duravent specifically warns against putting insulation between the pellet pipe and the inside of the thimble. DT being a different design, probably has different recommendations. I tried to read their literature, but was unable to find anything to directly related to using insulation in the airspace. I guess if I was in doubt, I would contact them direct. But back to common sense, if the airspace wasn't required (to be airspace), why would it be designed that way????

Point taken. I had not looked at Selkirks other offerings and, like yourself, have not seen where Selkirk says not to do this with DT. A phone call is in order!

However, if the thimble is in fact designed with an air gap between itself and the pipe then this design seems a bit counter productive. Does it not? Maybe I am thinking of it wrong or am I forgetting a piece of the puzzle?

Ok...I re-read the thread...and tried to sort out all of the geography and dog comments and just concentrate on the pellet stuff.

Yeah I am falling down on the job. >>

Aaaahhhh! The thread police! Everybody ruuuunnnn!!! :)

BrotherBart, I am the new guy (like you havent figured that out) but I have been reading this forum for years. I was wondering when you were going to show up! Please dont shut me down! ;lol

However, if the thimble is in fact designed with an air gap between itself and the pipe then this design seems a bit counter productive. Does it not? Maybe I am thinking of it wrong or am I forgetting a piece of the puzzle?

It does seem counterproductive. I had a long discussion with Duravent. Their pellet vent is listed (printed on the pipe) as 1" clearance to combustibles. The wall thimble has a 1" airspace around the pipe....thus making the outside of the thimble "zero clearance." No where is "Zero clearance" mentioned. If however, that 1" airspace is eliminated.... ie insulation,.you're back to 1" clearance. That's why they specify not to insulate that airspace. But the the DT is a complete different animal.

Maybe we are still not on the same sheet of music. I am not talking about insulating the 1" air gap between the inner and outer pipes of the thimble. I am talking about sealing any air gap that may exist between the outer wall of the the DT pipe and the inner wall of the DT Thimble. Are we talking about the same thing?

AppaVA New Member Joined: Friday Messages: 15 Loc: VA New Maybe we are still not on the same sheet of music. I am not talking about insulating the 1" air gap between the inner and outer pipes of the thimble. I am talking about sealing any air gap that may exist between the outer wall of the the DT pipe and the inner wall of the DT Thimble. Are we talking about the same thing?

I thinke we are. The outer wall of the pipe and the inner wall of the thimble have a airspace for a reason. That allows you to put insulation directly against the thimble...thus creating a zero clearance..

Status
Not open for further replies.