new country hearth 2000 ( us stove)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rings

Sep 23, 2012
Hello everyone I just stumbled acrossed this forum. I just bought a country hearth 2000 wood stove and trying to figure out the floor and wall protection for this unit manual is not much help. My plan it to take 2x4's and build a frame for the hearth with 3/4" plywood 1/2" cement board and ceramic tile will this work? As for wall protection I'm planning on useing 1/2" cement board then ceramic tile. Thank you in advance.

I'm thinking of something similar for my Russo, so it be nice to see what responses you get.

Hello everyone I just stumbled acrossed this forum. I just bought a country hearth 2000 wood stove and trying to figure out the floor and wall protection for this unit manual is not much help. My plan it to take 2x4's and build a frame for the hearth with 3/4" plywood 1/2" cement board and ceramic tile will this work? As for wall protection I'm planning on useing 1/2" cement board then ceramic tile. Thank you in advance.

Follow the manual and meet or exceed the requirements. This stove needs more insulation protection from the 3/4" plywood than just a layer of cement board. If you use Durock NextGen cement board it will need 3 - 1/2" layers to achieve the required insulation value.

FLOOR PROTECTOR
Your wood stove should be placed on a 1 inch, non-combustible surface with a k factor of 0.84. For multiple layers, add R-values of each layer to determine the overall R-value. The R value for the required board is 1.2. The floor protector should be under the stove, twenty-six inches beyond the front and six inches beyond each side of the fuel loading and ash removal opening. If there is a horizontal section of chimney connector, the floor protector should go under it and two inches beyond each side

Welcome to the site.

I strongly suggest you get ahead on your wood supply. EPA stoves need good seasoned firewood to operate correctly.

Hope I'm not too late to help. I have the same stove and here is what I did for my hearth. It's kind of hillbilly but it got me the required R value. I ripped 2x10 framing lumber the width of an 8" cement block. 8" of air space will give you enough R value. I framed my hearth with the ripped 2x10's the distance required away from the stove. I then took 8" block and made supports inside the hearth. Like beams going across the hearth and some where the stove would sit for extra support. Screwed cement board to the outside framing and then put tile on top.

Forgot to add that this makes for one heavy hearth. Make sure your floor can support it. Mine is right close to the center support girder of the house.

Sorry I took so long to reply been busy. thanks for all of the information. I use 3 layers of 1/2" durock and 1/2" slate tiles looks nice.

Good going. Now ya know we need pics to believe ya, right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.