New chimney in new house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Hello. Been a while though i do come over and read occasionally. I am building a new house and getting ready to build the chimney. It will begin in the basement and pass theough the first and second floor then the roof. Plan on using 16" flue block with standard clay liners. I have contemplated going ahead and stainless line along with the clay liners. This is new to me as my only experience is prefab stainless insulated pipe. Lookimg for any thoughts and suggestion for longivity and saftey. It will run entirely on inside but will have air gap all around it though it will be close to the wall. Thanks in advance.
Edit: As of right now I will be using a Englander 13nc which is smallish for my application but would like to get a larger cat stove eventually.

Why did you decide on a masonry chimney?

Good question. I didnt really. They Forman over my house project kinda just wnet with it. I assume so it could be rock veneered for looks but I dont see why a chase couldn't be done the same.

I didn’t say anything was wrong with a masonry flue if it’s done properly. Consider the cost, and it is coming out of your pocket... a class A chimney outperforms a masonry chimney and can be installed completely in 1 day. To build a full masonry chimney with a clay liner and a SS liner is simply a waste of money. If you are going to go with masonry, skip the clay and run an insulated SS liner.

Reactions: bholler
Masonry is perfectly fine but skip the clay. Just go with an insulated liner from the start. Or just use a prefab either works well

Thanks. Some good idea s to think about and talknover with the forman and inspector.

I would not build a masonry chimney under any circumstances. With todays appliances masonry is eleventh century technology venting 21st century appliances. You do not say what you are venting. That would help. If you are going with a SS liner, why bother with masonry at all? Put in a factory built chimney and be done with it. It will go in quicker, cheaper and perform better.

Reactions: blacktail
I would not build a masonry chimney under any circumstances. With todays appliances masonry is eleventh century technology venting 21st century appliances. You do not say what you are venting. That would help. If you are going with a SS liner, why bother with masonry at all? Put in a factory built chimney and be done with it. It will go in quicker, cheaper and perform better.
There is nothing out dated about a masonry structure with a stainless liner. It will work as good and the structure will last longer than a chased prefab. The one big benifit of a prefab is the fact that you can easily run straight up from the stove

Reactions: oilstinks
Englander 13nc wood stove.

masonry structure with a stainless liner. It will work as good and the structure will last longer
You mean like burned out homes where the last thing standing is the chimney?
Not that a structure fire is an issue, but I'm not seeing a longevity issue with boxing in a stainless class A insulated pipe.

There is nothing out dated about a masonry structure with a stainless liner. It will work as good and the structure will last longer than a chased prefab. The one big benifit of a prefab is the fact that you can easily run straight up from the stove

But, why bother? You have another trade in the house adding cost. Compared with all fuel chimney the chase is larger for the masonry block and it has to be framed around eating interior space. Also, going forward you get into inspections of the masonry. Masonry has never seen a btu it wan't happy to absorb. I think that less of an issue with wood, but it is a major issue with gas or oil. Pick a top of the line all fuel pipe, install it correctly with an insulated vent connector and you are done.

You mean like burned out homes where the last thing standing is the chimney?
Not that a structure fire is an issue, but I'm not seeing a longevity issue with boxing in a stainless class A insulated pipe.
I see tons of 20 year old chases that are rotted out.

Reactions: webby3650
But, why bother? You have another trade in the house adding cost. Compared with all fuel chimney the chase is larger for the masonry block and it has to be framed around eating interior space. Also, going forward you get into inspections of the masonry. Masonry has never seen a btu it wan't happy to absorb. I think that less of an issue with wood, but it is a major issue with gas or oil. Pick a top of the line all fuel pipe, install it correctly with an insulated vent connector and you are done.
Why not bother? There is nothing wrong with either one it is just a matter of preference. Most houses at least in this area already have Mason's there building the foundation. An extra few hours to lay up a chimney is no big deal. The inspector will already be there plenty of times having him inspect the chimney one of those times is not an issue. Masonry really doesn't need framed out just some furring strips nailed to it and your done or leave it exposed. BTUs being absorbed is not an issue because you would be installing an insulated liner.

I have absolutely no problem with prefab chimneys they work well and nice you more flexibility. But stainless liner masonry is still a very good option. And actually the prices are pretty close.

$705 manson clay lined materials plus $800 labor

We see rotted out chases all the time when we replace chase covers. Not real old houses either. A lot can go wrong. I wouldn’t do a chase though, just a flashing with class A pipe. I don’t have a problem with masonry either, and the price the OP was given Is great! The cost of the added liner will take the price higher though. Probably still be competitive with a class A chimney in cost. It’s simply personal preference. I’m surprised how cheap it was quoted.

Just wondering why so many rot out. I have one attached to the back of the house which is Tyvek wrapped, vinyl sided (same as the house) and capped at the top with stainless steel (the Class A pipe runs through it and is caulked). I don't notice any problems (looking through the access door) after 12 years, but maybe I am missing something.

Why - what did they do wrong. Cheap housing would be an issue in more places than a simple chase.
Any number of things flashing sideing chase cover masonry veneer leaking etc.

capped at the top with stainless steel
A lot of home builders prefer to use cheaper materials (galv chase covers) where things can't be seen. When the warranty or memory of the builder is past, rust rack and ruin.

Typically the flashing against the roof is not done properly. Others are spray foamed homes. The chase acts as a chimney for the home, all the humid air condenses in the chase because it’s the highest point in the home, causing major problems... we see it a lot!

I would also only consider Class A, and would not do brick. But there are lots of people that like brick. Nothing wrong with that. There are all kinds of things & decisions in a house build that aren't based just on cost - hard to account for peoples differing wants & tastes sometimes, it's one of those things that makes the world go around.

Add me to the list. I removed 2 brick chimneys in the house. Replaced one with a heatpump and the other with a metal chimney. In an earthquake prone area masonry chimneys are an added risk.