New Chainsaw won't start (or hard to start) after use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ZipFunk

Apr 8, 2015
Canada
Hi guys,

Just bought a Stihl 261 and love it.
Starts fine first job of the day but if I stop and try to start it again it doesn't want to.

I have to pull repeatedly and then coax it into running and not stalling if I'm lucky enough to get it going.

Is there something I'm missing?

Other than this the saw is great.

Drew

When warm all mt stihl start by putting throttle on fast idle
they usually start one 1 pull . If you put the choke on will flood
If you don't use fast idle hard to start

Hi johneh

Thanks for the fast reply.

I keep it at fast idle now. I don't usually choke it unless its been off for a few hours.

Agree with Johneh.
We use MS 261 at work, and I just purchased MS 462 for myself. On cold start with Master Control Lever set to choke position '::DT ' the saws start on 3rd or 4th pull like clock-work.
On restarts after it's run for a bit, I assume that saw is warm and attempt to restart with Master Control Lever ' I ' , and the the default position after saw has been shut off. Again, starts on 3rd or 4th pulls.