New 2009 13NC install Chimney help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JbTech

Dec 9, 2020
SouthEast Ohio
I've built a 30x32 pole building this summer and love the idea of having a stove in the shop!

Picked up an Englander 13NC stove 04/09, so not that old.

Replacing some fire bricks and some gaskets, but expect it to perform well.
Have plenty of fuel on our 13 acres.

My main question is about the stove pipe/chimney.
Shop ceiling is at 12'.

Current plan is to run stove pipe up the wall with a 90 at 10'
Insulated Class A into the wall thimble measuring 3' into a T on the exterior.
Class A out of the T up above the required height.

Not complicated, but want to make sure I get it right.

I have install pics. but not sure how to attach them like others yet.

Looking forward to the advise!

Also nervous as He%L to poke new holes in my new building!

You should see an attach file button right below the reply window.
I
I
I
\/

That's a decent value stove, but a might bit small for that large a space.

Reactions: JbTech
Ah yes...See it now!

Didn't know for sure how the stove would heat the space. It'll eventually be insulated, both walls and ceiling.
The plan is to exit through the upper right corner of the building as shown on the exterior.

Attachments

• New 2009 13NC install Chimney help
    20201218_151545.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 102
  • New 2009 13NC install Chimney help
    20201218_175400.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 99
What kind of insulation will you use? That's still a tall space to heat. If you stay all day with the stove running, it will probably get warm enough but if you are running in and out it may cool off pretty fast. You might be better off with a zone type heater, propane or electric, directed at where you are working.

What kind of insulation will you use? That's still a tall space to heat. If you stay all day with the stove running, it will probably get warm enough but if you are running in and out it may cool off pretty fast. You might be better off with a zone type heater, propane or electric, directed at where you are working.

Shooting for R-19 on the ceiling with corrugated plastic sheets.
Typical insulation for a 2x6 wall on the walls.

Not looking to heat this building 24/7. Since I've been out there working, if I get the temp up around 55~60 it's good for a working temp.

The wood stove is a temporary solution. I've got a free natural gas source 40' away. The pickle is not having electric wired out there yet.

. I've got a free natural gas source 40' away.
??? What is that. I'd get that connected to a gas furnace and power it with a small generator or a long extension cord.

??? What is that. I'd get that connected to a gas furnace and power it with a small generator or a long extension cord.

We've got access to a natural gas well that is on our property. Neighbor also has access and ran the line to his shop and hangar this summer. Waiting to see how the first year goes with it before depending on it, but long term I'd like to go that direction.
Wood stove is something I can utilize without power for the time being.
Time and money...

Why not go straight up, that elbow at that height will eventually be the source of issues down the road. Creosote build up, lack of a clean out and to much turbulence from the 2 90deg turns might create smokey reloads & sluggish draft

Why not go straight up, that elbow at that height will eventually be the source of issues down the road. Creosote build up, lack of a clean out and to much turbulence from the 2 90deg turns might create smokey reloads & sluggish draft

To be honest, lack of knowledge and trying to avoid holes in the roof.

It just seemed like a good idea to avoid holes in the roof.