Never expected this visitor!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
It's that time of year, nice enough to get yard work done, yet chilly enough to have a fire. I get the kindling going and as soon as I close the door a hornet flies into the glass and drops down between the door and stove. I never considered one of those things would make it's way down the chimney. I was hammered by one a couple years ago in our house, not once but twice, and they do pack a punch. I wasn't sorrowful as it perished!

Attachments

• Never expected this visitor!
    Hornet.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Haha
Reactions: Amigo Azul
They're already coming out here too, last year I painted the shutters, as I took one of there was a nest that I didn't see, the little bastiges got me pretty good.

• Wow
Reactions: MoDoug
They start showing up in our house at this time of year. I suspect they are up in the attic rafters. Usually, it's just a few, but unnerving.

• Wow
I see a lot of red wasp around the place even on warm days in winter. The house is metal siding so I think the heat attracts them. On a side note....I was outside last night watching my daughter feed the chickens and got bit by a mosquito. Can you believe that.

I see a lot of red wasp around the place even on warm days in winter. The house is metal siding so I think the heat attracts them. On a side note....I was outside last night watching my daughter feed the chickens and got bit by a mosquito. Can you believe that.

I see you're on the other side of the state from me. Those red wasps are downright mean, they'll come after you for no good reason. It will be bad for everything this year, like ticks..

I see a lot of red wasp around the place even on warm days in winter.
I see you're on the other side of the state from me. Those red wasps are downright mean, they'll come after you for no good reason.
I haven't found that to be the case here; The red ones hardly ever come at me unless I actually bump their nest. They seem less aggressive than other types. Then, if one does happen to sting me, I don't have much of a reaction as far as pain or swelling, just a barely-visible dot.

I haven't found that to be the case here; The red ones hardly ever come at me unless I actually bump their nest. They seem less aggressive than other types. Then, if one does happen to sting me, I don't have much of a reaction as far as pain or swelling, just a barely-visible dot.

I’ve been stung a few times in the last 5 years or so, all red wasps, maybe I was being more inconsiderate toward them than I realized. I’m not allergic to them, but it hurt and itched like the dickens for a couple days.

I’m not allergic to them, but it hurt and itched like the dickens for a couple days.
The Reds only itch me for about an hour. Now if I'm mowing and those damn ground hornets nail me, my ankles swell and itch for a couple days! <>

I’ve been stung a few times in the last 5 years or so, all red wasps, maybe I was being more inconsiderate toward them than I realized. I’m not allergic to them, but it hurt and itched like the dickens for a couple days.
The Reds only itch me for about an hour. Now if I'm mowing and those damn ground hornets nail me, my ankles swell and itch for a couple days! <>
Yea I dont find them too aggressive unless you mess with them but if you do and they sting ya....or me at least.....they will leave a pretty good welp for a while. I always have a nest of them in the chicken coop....in summer....and when I go in to gather eggs they will all flare their wings out and sit motionless but havent stung me yet. Now horse and deer flies are another story....I hate them with a passion.

.... I never considered one of those things would make it's way down the chimney.
He was coming inside to get warm... well, HE GOT WARM!;lol

• Haha