Neighbor wants to buy three cords of ash firewood from me, how much should I sell it for

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
If it’s seasoned I’d say150- 200ish each since it’s your neighbor but then again idk how much cords are going for up there. Sellers are getting to 300-350 down here I’ve seen from some but usually close to 250 delivered

How dry is it? Has it been cut split stacked for a couple years? If so then that is premium firewood and commands a premium price normally...then you just need to decide how much you like your neighbor, is he paying market rate, or is he getting a deal? Priced can be all over the board too...if you have a local firewood place that has been around for some time, does some volume, and sells out every year, their pricing is probably at local market rate. But if they are selling "seasoned" firewood that was just split (they often advertise custom lengths) then that's not premium firewood so not really comparable.

Reactions: stoveliker
Put a thoughtful estimate on your time to cut it, split it, haul it, and stack it to season, and explain the hours of your time that one cord represents. Ask the neighbor what his time is worth. (Ultimately money is just an abbreviation for someone-somewhere's time.)

After 10 years of bringing in my own wood out of the woods behind the house that I handle it too many more times than I'd like: cut it, bring it up hill, split it, haul it, stack it to season, re-haul it, re-stack it (and re-haul it and re-stack it and...). Except for the re-hauling and re-stacking, I don't see any steps to cut out (oh, that hauling up-hill could be eliminated: I only do that because I'm obsessive about "not wasting...").

I'd ask the neighbor how much he'd sell me three cords of firewood for after cutting, splitting and stacking... It's how I personally decide whether a price I'm quoted is valuable to me: how much would I charge? I look at the piles of excess firewood I've got and honestly I'd rather let it rot than sell it to anyone who has no appreciation of the other person's effort that went into it. Honestly, I cut it as much for my own entertainment as for heating.

What's it worth... I.e.
1. What is it's moisture content?
2. What is the going rate for 1/2 year split wood (almost impossible to find 2 year split wood...)
3. What is your time investment
4. What does the neighbor mean to you

All that factors in, in different weighting for different people - and none can be answered by us.

Got my pastures clipped a few times for a half cord this year.
Just get a little stingier with your livestock "welfare meals", they clean things up a lil better...;)

Just get a little stingier with your livestock "welfare meals", they clean things up a lil better...;)
We rotationally graze in small paddocks, so they eat pretty indiscriminately. We are just very understocked at the moment as we grow the flock so the grass gets ahead of us. We turned out to pasture on March 15 and will likely be grazing still into December before we start feeding any sort of hay or grain. I'd leave it long but to train the sheepdogs it helps for them to see.

Reactions: brenndatomu
If it’s seasoned I’d say150- 200ish each since it’s your neighbor but then again idk how much cords are going for up there. Sellers are getting to 300-350 down here I’ve seen from some but usually close to 250 delivered
Just to clarify, that's per cord, yes?