Need to replace old Superior ZC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DSW

Nov 1, 2019
I have an old Superior FC 3880 that doesn't do much except bleed heat and look okay. At present there is a kitbashed plexiglass panel in it keeping the cold air mostly out from the house. Obviously, there's no sealing it on burn days.

The opening is about 40.5" wide and about 32" high. The Superior firebox is 16 inches deep on the inside. It has an 8" stainless pipe chimney.
The outside of the chimney has a metal box protruding from it, so I'm guessing it could have a vent if I wanted to install one. The chimney sans box is covered in siding.

I want a high efficiency fireplace or insert of some kind that doesn't leak heat and doesn't need constant supervision like an open fireplace. My preference is that it doesn't break the bank if possible. This year I have already had a power outage and a dead furnace during subfreezing temps, so I'd prefer some supplemental and emergency heating that's more reliable than the open unit.

TIA
Need to replace old Superior ZC

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out Woodland Direct, they have a nice selection of zero clearance high efficiency fireplaces. I purchased a Supreme Astra through them. They are very knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with. https://www.woodlanddirect.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Woodland+Direct+-+Branded&utm_term=Woodland Direct&utm_content=Woodland+Direct,+Inc,Expert+Fireplace+&+Chimney+Product+Advice.+Free+Shipping+Over+$99.&msclkid=c1ead0215d681d7b48228d9c39e69ea2

What neighborhood was the install, pricewise? It looks like I'll need to have some masonry work done to get a snug fit, but since it's zero clearance, it's just the facing that has to be modified, right?

You would actually want an insert instead of what I linked. Something like this https://www.supremem.com/fusion_24.php . There are several other options and brands, I am only somewhat familiar with this brand and the Avalon Rainer insert which unfortunately is no longer available. There are a few different surround options to close the void around the face. Here is the link to the instruction/owners manual for this brand and model to give you a better idea. https://www.supremem.com/documents/manuals/FN_OM_EN_JAN18.pdf . You should be able to find something from this brand or another that will work without having to add to the current facing.

I'm not certain it's a masonry fireplace -- there's a lot of brick there, but the fireplace itself is a prefab ZC. I guess the only way to know for sure is to have it pulled out? I'd much prefer the insert, but my understanding is that it could only go in if the fireplace is masonry. If the previous owners put a ZC inside an existing masonry box, that'd be rather weird, right?

I checked around with a few of the shops in the Minneapolis area about getting the opening resized so I can fit a newer unit like the one suggested. Apparently there are some pretty predatory folks out here -- they see dollar signs and start telling me about how much will have to be replaced. No kidding, my first ballpark estimate from a place was in the neighborhood of 20k.

For the folks who have done this before(or had it done), what is a more realistic estimate for some resizing? I'm not including the @1000 dollars for the new liner or the price of the new unit itself in this, I just need to know a fair cost for the masonry work.

Is this something I should pursue, or is it not worth the hassle to keep the old brick facing?

If the goal is heat and the budget is tight, perhaps a freestanding, rear-vented stove connected to a ss liner might work. The hearth would need to be extended if it does.

There are a lot of people that have done that on here, including myself. I'm sure we can help you get a real heat generating insert installed in place of the builders special.

There are a lot of people that have done that on here, including myself. I'm sure we can help you get a real heat generating insert installed in place of the builders special.
I don't have the manual but suspect that this fireplace does not permit an insert to be installed. Did you mean to get a replacement ZC fireplace installed?

I don't have the manual but suspect that this fireplace does not permit an insert to be installed. Did you mean to get a replacement ZC fireplace installed?

I agree, and worded my response poorly. What I meant is, it was a good time to tear the whole thing out, and install an inert, or free standing stove with Grade A insulated pipe. Something that will throw true heat.

, and install an inert, or free standing stove with Grade A insulated pipe.
Yes, marketing has confused things tremendously by using the term insert interchangeably for a Zero Clearance fireplace. An insert is a stove that is designed to insert into a fireplace.

I'm all for that. For the folks who have done this before, where will I want to start, and how much needed?

Will the whole wall have to come out, or just the old fireplace and some of the facing around it, in the case of a ZC replacement?

I'm guessing a stove would require the brick wall getting torn out and replaced with an alcove?