Need help with stove latch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ryan.bowler

Dec 27, 2022
Wyoming
My wood burning stove has no labels. It came with the house. The handle latch does not stay attached to the door and I think a replacement might fix it. Any suggestions for a replacement that would do the job?

Need help with stove latch Need help with stove latch Need help with stove latch Need help with stove latch

It looks repairable. What broke or is this just missing some pieces?

The door gasket needs to be fixed asap. That is leaking a lot of air. It needs to be cemented back into the channel on the door.

• Wow
Reactions: Woody Stover
I will work on fixing the door gasket tomorrow when it cools down.

The latch isn't missing any pieces, but when I try to screw it onto the stove, it never tightens because the bolt inside the latch spins. So it falls off every day.

Retap the threads? Auto parts store will have retapping tool.

I am wondering if it had a locking nut on it, but maybe the bolt is not long enough. Can the bolt be removed for examination?

What stove make/model is this?

I don't know the make and model. The only marking on it are on the front and it says 1926 - 1986.

I tried to remove the bolt, but it doesn't come out. There is a small metal tube that might be holding the bolt in, but I don't know how to remove it.

I don't want to Crack the ceramic so I don't trust myself to drill and tap a new hole. That is beyond my ability level.

Need help with stove latch

I tried to remove the bolt, but it doesn't come out. There is a small metal tube that might be holding the bolt in, but I don't know how to remove it.
Looks like the small tube may be a roll pin. Is it also visible on the opposite side of the latch? If so, clamp the assembly in a vice and drive it out with a drift pin or a blunted nail that is slightly smaller in diameter.

Reactions: ryan.bowler
If the threads are stripped, you can try a helicoil thread insert fromthe local hardware or auto parts store

What’s the back of the door look like where the latch goes in?

Looks like the small tube may be a roll pin. Is it also visible on the opposite side of the latch? If so, clamp the assembly in a vice and drive it out with a drift pin or a blunted nail that is slightly smaller in diameter.
I will try that tomorrow. Thank you.

That's a good idea. I will try that if I can't remove the roll pin. Thank you.
You will probably need new threads in the door regardless so it will probably need a helicoil even with new threads on the pin

It looks like the wear is from the pin, but I am not sure that will affect it at this point. It looks like this part of the latch assembly can now be bolted snugly to the door. Then the latch can be slipped on and a roll pin reinserted.

Or perhaps I am missing something?

Reactions: bholler
Gotta love happy endings

• Haha
Reactions: TomMcDonald
Worked perfectly. Thank you.
Great! If there is enough thread, put a second nut on the bolt end to lock it in place.

How did the gasket repair go?