Need help with repairs! Pacific Energy Super 27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Srzappia

Oct 27, 2024
NY, USA
We purchased a used Pacific Energy Super 27, said to be in great condition, “burns great but will eventually need a new baffle”. There looks to be more significant damage and I’m looking for guidance on whether or not we can safely repair/find replacement parts and if it’s worth the money to repair vs. trying to find another used stove in good condition. We are financially strapped, have both used wood burning stoves but never repaired one. This one looks to need a new baffle asap, railset, new bricks (we have 6 intact), baffle gasket? The crack on top seems to have been sealed but we don’t know the details. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Need help with repairs! Pacific Energy Super 27
    IMG_7066.webp
    189.6 KB · Views: 10
    IMG_7065.webp
    510.2 KB · Views: 10
    IMG_7067.webp
    154.1 KB · Views: 8
    IMG_7064.webp
    196.8 KB · Views: 10
    IMG_7069.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 9
    IMG_7070.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 11
It's been over fired, the white on top indicates that.
You've been swindled.
I would find another stove...

Reactions: Srzappia
Not worth fixing. Parts aren't cheap, and with a crack like that, it is scrap.
Buying used is a crapshoot. You have to closely inspect the stove for damage, but you still can't be sure that it hasn't been abused to some degree. Gonna be hard to find anything good, especially at this time of year.
I'd consider a "value" stove from Lowe's, HD etc. They are around $1K or under, depending on size. Drolet and Englander are well-regarded here. I saw Pleasant Hearth at Menards a couple days ago. It looked OK but I don't know if it's quite as good. You might go that route for now, and then start looking for a deal on a used stove of better quality, which will probably take a while to find.

Hmm, qualifies for the 30% federal tax credit..
That said, any modern stove, catalytic or secondary-burn like the Super, will require dry wood to produce decent heat. If you haven't got wood that's been split and stacked to dry in the wind for at least a couple summers, I wouldn't even attempt to burn wood this year. If you split and stack soft Maple or other lightweight wood now, it might get fairly dry by next fall.

Last edited:
Eventually? That baffle was toast a long time ago. I'm sorry to see this, hope it was cheap. The crack on the top shows abuse, indicating there is a good chance the flame shield is shot or missing. It will need to be welded. The stove needs a full rehab. In addition to the trashed baffle, the firebricks are shot, the insulation side blankets need replacement. I'd do the door gasket at the same time.

Not worth fixing. Parts aren't cheap, and with a crack like that, it is scrap.
Buying used is a crapshoot. You have to closely inspect the stove for damage, but you still can't be sure that it hasn't been abused to some degree. Gonna be hard to find anything good, especially at this time of year.
I'd consider a "value" stove from Lowe's, HD etc. They are around $1K or under, depending on size. Drolet and Englander are well-regarded here. I saw Pleasant Hearth at Menards a couple days ago. It looked OK but I don't know if it's quite as good. You might go that route for now, and then start looking for a deal on a used stove of better quality, which will probably take a while to find.

Hmm, qualifies for the 30% federal tax credit..
That said, any modern stove, catalytic or secondary-burn like the Super, will require dry wood to produce decent heat. If you haven't got wood that's been split and stacked to dry in the wind for at least a couple summers, I wouldn't even attempt to burn wood this year. If you split and stack soft Maple or other lightweight wood now, it might get fairly dry by next fall.
Thanks so much

Eventually? That baffle was toast a long time ago. I'm sorry to see this, hope it was cheap. The crack on the top shows abuse, indicating there is a good chance the flame shield is shot or missing. It will need to be welded. The stove needs a full rehab. In addition to the trashed baffle, the firebricks are shot, the insulation side blankets need replacement. I'd do the door gasket at the same time.
Ugh, yes this is what we thought. Thank you…