Need help choosing between woodheaters,! Thanks to Australian emission laws :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Astrochic_5

Apr 17, 2018
Australia
Hi everyone, first time poster! Thanks for all the amazing information I've been reading so many posts, probably too many.
We currently have a stupid Kent fireplace that I'm looking to upgrade. We have raised ceilings and it doesn't burn hot half the time I could sit on it. It' n the wood because my parents are using the same wood at their house and their sitting in shorts and a singlet thanks to their lovely morso.

I have done so much research and when I decide on one, I find out we can no longer get them In Australia due to our emission laws. I wanted a morso 3610 or a jotul Oslo but we can't get them anymore.

So now I'm back to square one. I would like a cast iron radiant heater because that's what I grew up with and am used to that kind of heat. And I want to be able to cook on it.
It'I be the only source of heating in the house, however our house is the weirdest shape (its almost like a f and the joined) so I don't think we'll be able to have one reach the whole house. I have been looking at the alderlea t5 or 6. And perhaps the lopi rockport or jotul f8. We can get those models here.
Anyone got any feedback on how good the cast iron over steel fireboxs are? It seems we can't get any decent sided full cast iron ones here.
Thanks!

Hi everyone, first time poster! Thanks for all the amazing information I've been reading so many posts, probably too many.
We currently have a stupid Kent fireplace that I'm looking to upgrade. We have raised ceilings and it doesn't burn hot half the time I could sit on it. It' n the wood because my parents are using the same wood at their house and their sitting in shorts and a singlet thanks to their lovely morso.

I have done so much research and when I decide on one, I find out we can no longer get them In Australia due to our emission laws. I wanted a morso 3610 or a jotul Oslo but we can't get them anymore.

So now I'm back to square one. I would like a cast iron radiant heater because that's what I grew up with and am used to that kind of heat. And I want to be able to cook on it.
It'I be the only source of heating in the house, however our house is the weirdest shape (its almost like a f and the joined) so I don't think we'll be able to have one reach the whole house. I have been looking at the alderlea t5 or 6. And perhaps the lopi rockport or jotul f8. We can get those models here.
Anyone got any feedback on how good the cast iron over steel fireboxs are? It seems we can't get any decent sided full cast iron ones here.
Thanks!

Have you looked at Woodstock stoves? I believe they all meet the emissions laws, and everyone who has one loves them. Best customer service you could ever wish for (they only deal direct from company to client so no middle person dealers), and amazing stoves. I have one arriving in the next couple weeks! They are primarily soapstone stoves with some cast iron parts and steel stoves with some soapstone lining - all primarily radiant heaters. If you search this site you will find a ton of positive reviews. They just had a big sale but I believe extended it and if you called them you could likely still get the sale price. You might want to consider the Progress Hybrid or Ideal Steel, but they have other stoves too. Good luck!

Have you looked at Woodstock stoves? I believe they all meet the emissions laws, and everyone who has one loves them. Best customer service you could ever wish for (they only deal direct from company to client so no middle person dealers), and amazing stoves. I have one arriving in the next couple weeks! They are primarily soapstone stoves with some cast iron parts and steel stoves with some soapstone lining - all primarily radiant heaters. If you search this site you will find a ton of positive reviews. They just had a big sale but I believe extended it and if you called them you could likely still get the sale price. You might want to consider the Progress Hybrid or Ideal Steel, but they have other stoves too. Good luck!
Don't think Woodstock sells to Australia.

Thanks!
The PE Alderlea stoves are steel stoves with a cast iron jacket. They are not intensely radiant, which it sounds like you want. They Jotul F8 is an older style traditional cast iron stove. It's not very efficient, but it will be more radiant than the Alderlea stoves. For a cleaner burning Jotul that will put out better heat with less fuel look at the F400CB. The fire won't last as long in the F400 as it would in the PE T5, but the stove body will radiate more heat.

In a steel stove you have several Australian made brands that we are not familiar with. In North American brands I would be looking at the Lopi Endeavor and the PE Super 27. Both have a long track record as a solid heaters.