Need a wood stove for deer camp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not 100% sure on this model, but might want to double check thermometer placement.

Low ceilings I bet keeps it very toasty.

Reactions: JimRT
Not 100% sure on this model, but might want to double check thermometer placement.

The manual says

"The first break‐in fire should be just a large kindling fire, getting the stove to about 300°F as

measured by a magnetic thermometer on the right or left side of the stove, above the door."

It does look like I could move the thermometer in towards the center to get it over the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, got the second and third break in fires done this weekend. Ran the stove up to 400 on the last break in. I'm finding of the wood I have cut and split only the cherry is dry enough to burn well, fortunately that's what I have the most of. The oak and ash just need more time to dry, all were either standing dead or from tops that were down for a couple years, but not split until recently. I have been needing to leave the the door cracked open just a tiny bit to let some air in in order to really get it going, then once established, shut the door fully and it goes just fine. Not sure if this is due to the relatively warm weather, wood not being seasoned the best, or a sign of a possible chimney problem.

Attachments

• firedog.jpg
    firedog.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 78
Could be a combination of all 3 but you really didnt tell us about the chimney specs that were installed.

Warm weather doesnt help.
Unseasoned wood is no fun.
Short chimney not enough draw.

Could be a combination of all 3 but you really didnt tell us about the chimney specs that were installed.

Warm weather doesnt help.
Unseasoned wood is no fun.
Short chimney not enough draw.
I can't provide much in the way of details on the chimney. I know its double wall pipe, and is completely vertical. I made sure to impress on the installer that the manual calls for 15 feet minimum for chimney height. Unfortunately I had to deal with an emergency roof repair, while the chimney was being installed so I didn't get to observe all that went on. The installer assured me I had the 15 feet of height, but also tells me that's as measured from the top of the pedestal. That doesn't sound right to me , but I'm new at this. Seems to me chimney height would be measured from the top of the stove, not to include the combustion chamber, but what do I know. I need to take a tape measure to the entire affair and see what's truly there.

I can't provide much in the way of details on the chimney. I know its double wall pipe, and is completely vertical. I made sure to impress on the installer that the manual calls for 15 feet minimum for chimney height. Unfortunately I had to deal with an emergency roof repair, while the chimney was being installed so I didn't get to observe all that went on. The installer assured me I had the 15 feet of height, but also tells me that's as measured from the top of the pedestal. That doesn't sound right to me , but I'm new at this. Seems to me chimney height would be measured from the top of the stove, not to include the combustion chamber, but what do I know. I need to take a tape measure to the entire affair and see what's truly there.
Sounds like the chimney is adequate. Focus on the wood for now. Can you get at least a firebox full of known, fully seasoned firewood? If not, get some construction cutoff or other completely dry wood and add them to your firewood to help the stove get hotter, faster.