Need a new stove...for real this time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

quickrch

Hearth Supporter
Mar 28, 2009
Northern, VA
Our Avalon Astoria is finally getting to a place where I can't keep fixings it. In the past I have taken a look at new stoves and found parts or welded the bad spot.

The exhaust fan is failing... again. I don't know how long the stove should last but we are 11 years an 3-4 tons a year.

While I like the European looking ones, my better half likes the bay front more. We are considering the quada fire 1200. Last I checked that was a solid brand. Is that still a so?

Any others that we should consider?

Only 11 years. Still a kid.. Hell, not even broke in yet.... :p

The one I have now is 21 years old and has had a very steady diet of pellets and corn and pellet corn mix every winter. Don't have a clue how many tons I've roasted in 21 years but I'd say 4 ton a year x 21 or 84 ton give or take, probably more give, I'm being conservative about what I use. .

Still as good as the day I bought it minus some paint on the cabinet that is getting thin. This is my second one. The previous one, an Englander 25 bottom feeder positive draft (pre negative draft that is the standard today) I ran for about 8 years and sold it to 'upgrade' to the negative draft (no hopper fires). It was fine too, I just wanted a safer unit. Other than an occasional stir rod replacement (the fuel bed tends to oxidize the stainless stirrer), I've replaced nothing. I do maintain it carefully however. It's manual light (firestarter on pellets and a match), no cal rod ignition and it was never pretty but it's a workhorse and very trustworthy.

When I started out with a biomass stove, they were unheard of for the most part and pellets were cheap as in 100 bucks a ton. I bought the first one because I am cheap and I still am cheap. Why I burn solid fuel versus propane even though propane per realized BTU is cheaper than biomass and NG is even cheaper but alas, we don't have NG here. About 12 years ago I switched from pellets to corn. I get my corn for basically nothing so my heat is very cheap and I like that. I've only gotten more frugal in my twilight years.

I like spending my money on thongs I enjoy, not keeping my butt warm.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Only 11 years. Still a kid.. Hell, not even broke in yet.... :p

The one I have now is 21 years old and has had a very steady diet of pellets and corn and pellet corn mix every winter. Don't have a clue how many tons I've roasted in 21 years but I'd say 4 ton a year x 21 or 84 ton give or take, probably more give, I'm being conservative about what I use. .

Still as good as the day I bought it minus some paint on the cabinet that is getting thin. This is my second one. The previous one, an Englander 25 bottom feeder positive draft (pre negative draft that is the standard today) I ran for about 8 years and sold it to 'upgrade' to the negative draft (no hopper fires). It was fine too, I just wanted a safer unit. Other than an occasional stir rod replacement (the fuel bed tends to oxidize the stainless stirrer), I've replaced nothing. I do maintain it carefully however. It's manual light (firestarter on pellets and a match), no cal rod ignition and it was never pretty but it's a workhorse and very trustworthy.

When I started out with a biomass stove, they were unheard of for the most part and pellets were cheap as in 100 bucks a ton. I bought the first one because I am cheap and I still am cheap. Why I burn solid fuel versus propane even though propane per realized BTU is cheaper than biomass and NG is even cheaper but alas, we don't have NG here. About 12 years ago I switched from pellets to corn. I get my corn for basically nothing so my heat is very cheap and I like that. I've only gotten more frugal in my twilight years.

I like spending my money on thongs I enjoy, not keeping my butt warm.
Is your current stove an Englander as well? That's an impressive run.

SidecarFlip in a thong! Now, that's!!! a sight I don't ever want to see!!
My 'fat finger' posting strikes again...lol I meant 'things' like hunting trips and firearms and camping in the RV.

An old, slightly overweight bald old man would be quite a sight in a 'thong' for sure....

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
This is my 1998 p61A I picked up last summer

Attachments

• Need a new stove...for real this time
    F972C172-FDF2-4D56-8352-4B5E95807826.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 142
Really nothing to wear out on any unit, just replace mechanical parts that succumb to age (or lack of proper maintenance).....

The 'bones of any unit should last almost forever barring a firebox failure and the can be fixed with some careful welding...usually.

Well I guess I just needed to get a talking to. Pulled the exhaust fan, cleaned it, adjusted or aligned the door. Running again.... maybe next year

Maybe, but again, maybe not....

Really nothing to wear out on any unit, just replace mechanical parts that succumb to age (or lack of proper maintenance).....

The 'bones of any unit should last almost forever barring a firebox failure and the can be fixed with some careful welding...usually.

We went cheaper and got two PelPro PP130s this year, one in the shop and one in the house. This was exactly why we didn't go with a higher end model - they're so simple and use off-the-shelf parts except for the auger and the two control boards. The plate heat exchanger is easy to access from inside or from the back if it ever needs repairs. For the simplicity and cost, I couldn't bring myself to spring for a Harman or another pricier unit.

Is your current stove an Englander as well? That's an impressive run.
No the Englander went to a new home years ago. I replaced it with a USSC 6039HF Multi Fuel and then modded it with 41 parts. The Englander sat in the garage for a few years before it left. It was a positive draft unit (prone to hopper burnback if the hopper lid wasn't closed tightly). In my opinion a serious safety flaw that was inherent in early units prior to the now standard negative draft. I got 500 bucks for it and I was happy. That sucker was heavy too and had little ash capacity as well as could only run pellets, not that pellets were expensive back then. I remember paying around a hundred a ton back then, maybe less on sale.

When I got the 39-41 I was on the old defunct IBC forum and that got me started in corn burning and I've stayed with corn right along, just like Firepot Pete and Rona have. For me pellets are the alternative fuel. I'm a corn burner at heart. Most modern units aren't corn capable like the 39 is. Pete has one just like mine and Rona has a Bixby.

I sort of remember one gal that burned dried hammer milled walnut shells too. Lived near some walnut processing plant so her fuel was basically free.

it's all fun except when it's cleaning time, then it's always dirty.

Really cold here and we have a winter storm advisory for 6-10 with 30 mph winds. Put the county plow on a tractor tonight and back in the barn just in case we do get blasted. Always better to be prepared. be nice to have a nice layer of snow on the roof. Keeps the heat in.

I'm over 21 years on the 39 and I ran the Englander for at least 10 years prior to that. When I started burning pellets, it was a real oddity and hard as heck to find pellets to roast, unlike today. Just one brand available here, Lignetics. Think they are still in business bit I have not seen them around here in a long time.

I found that stove on Kijiji for $200, they pop up VERY cheap every now and then.
I swapped out the combustion motor and touched up the paint and cleaned all the creosote out of it.

WOW 200 bucks. Cheapest I've seen them used and abused around here is a grand. Noth that I need one but they are very nice looking.

I was on the Harman website last night and I am curious about something. Why do they have a backdraft damper / flap in the exhaust tract. Never heard of any venting backdrafting, as they are forced draft. I don't get the reason why.

$4600 is pretty rich for my blood but then I am retired and on a somewhat fixed income.

Like I said, nice looking compared to my black box.

I haven’t seen a flapper in the exhaust, there is one on the intake though

I haven’t seen a flapper in the exhaust, there is one on the intake though
You could be right, was just looking at the manual online. Still don't understand the reasoning.

Me neither, I always put a small magnet in to keep it open.

I have contacted Rona now and then. He was awesome help when I first got my bixby. Still use the stove, heats the garage.
I got my p61 for 350 bucks. Been running 24/7 all winter. I did replace the combustion motor. If the price is right I'd use any stove

Technically that’s a P61-2.....lol. Made prior to the A IIRC.

Interesting, I thought the P61-2 was the Canadian version and the P61A was the USA. I’ve yet to see a P61A in Canada...10-15 I’ve looked at

Reactions: Harman Lover 007