Napoleon 1402 - Where to place the stove top temperature gauge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crvfire

Oct 13, 2018
Bow, NH
I purchased a Napoleon 1402 last year and had it installed by professionals. I have a stove top temperature gauge that I have on the top. After getting it going (I see secondary burn) I close it down. Even after doing that I'm getting stove top temps around 700-750F for about the first 30 mins to an hour. I brought this up to the professionals and they came out. Checked all the gaskets and what not. Said it looks fine and moved my temp gauge away from the hot zone in the center back. So this is where my question comes. Where are you supposed to place to temperature gauge on the stove top? I assumed in the hot zone.

I'm concerned given that the manufactures manual said keep temperatures below 700F and that ideal temperatures is 350F which I feel is low.

I did the paper test on the door gaskets and seems fine. Suggestions welcomed.

Try shutting down the air sooner and a little more aggressively to see if that lowers the peak temp. Also, thicker splits will help slow down the fire.