mystery wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mxjamie540

Hearth Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
southern illinois
Alright omniscient ever knowing tree gurus.....

what kind of tree is this? I found it at a local yard debris dump site. I scrounged about 8 logs of this stuff, none had any leaves. It cut fairly easily, splits so-so.... some great, some not so, was very wet (I was getting hit in the face with splatter when splitting), and the heartwood when fresh cut was almost neon green, kinda like the color of a green hi-liter. The sapwood was very light in color.

Thanks

Attachments

• mystery wood
    IMG_4789.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 716
  • mystery wood
    IMG_4792.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 705
Without a picture I am severely challenged. In fact, I have no ideas. Nevermind, pics just appeared.

I think it is either White Ash or Norway Maple. They are about the same in terms of BTUs, maple might take longer to season, but either one should be ready to go next winter.

sorry, I had submitted post before I attached the pics....... should be good now.

interchangabLEE said:
Yellow Pee Oplar !!!!!!!! MMMMMMM HMMMMMMMM

Me thinks interchangabLEE knows his tulip trees ;-P

+1 on the yellow poplar. Burns better/longer than pine, but does not burn as long/hot as oak, hickory, ash, etc., etc.

Green high lighter, you say? Sounds just like the tulip poplar I split this time last year. That stuff seasons out light as a feather.

You lucky guy, you have all our favorite wood, poplar. After you split a couple and see the nice colors, bring it back to the dump, maybe there will be something better for your return trip!

interchangabLEE said:
Yellow Pee Oplar !!!!!!!! MMMMMMM HMMMMMMMM

Lee I think you were a termite in your previous life from all your wood ID knowledge lol!!

Ray

Yeller poplar. I got a huge pile of this together a couple years back. Splits great, spits on ya when splitting wet. Burns like cardboard. Oh and as a special treat ... After a few months seasoning the bark gets all slimy and slips off when you pick it up.

yep its a tulip tree -makes crappy firewood
i have found learning the tree species is really really helpful when im scrounging
some woods look great in the woods but burn up like cardboard in the firebox

A good way to tell right of the bat if its a softer wood species........is just take a look at those growth rings.
Defiantly juicy Poplar.....

WB

Tulip is fun to cut.

I can not, and will not, have anybody denigrating tulip poplar! It is a dang fine wood and, like all woods, has its place in the woodpile. I actually wish I had more. Nothing gets my stove from room temperature to 600 as quick as an initial load of poplar. Another good trait - it does not coal up as bad as many hardwoods. Yeah, burns fast but there are many burn cycles where I just need some wood to keep a little heat going and not necessarily burning my prime stuff. Is also some good wood when your parasitic neighbors beg off wood for their fireplace - good wood for an open fireplace burner.

poplar molds fast

"Is also some good wood when your parasitic neighbors beg off wood for their fireplace"
Thats the best reason I've heard to have poplar

I've just starting burning some Tulip Poplar I cut a year or so ago......thinking I would need it at the time. That was before the oak trees starting falling all over the place in my area from the storms. Now I'm just trying to get rid of it. It heats OK. I would cut some more if I had to have firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.