My splitting setup and “wood shed”

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

d.sebens

Oct 26, 2021
White Heath Illinois
Here’s my current splitting setup.

[Hearth.com] My splitting setup and “wood shed”

I just added the hoist this year. I plan on mounting it on two telephone poles for permanent. The tractor was just to use this year and to test. It works great! I know the skidding tongs aren’t meant for lifting but they work great!

Here’s the storage.

I know it’s not the most ideal as air can’t hit it from all directions but there’s walking space and a wide open chamber for moisture to rise.

It’s a mixture of hedge, hickory, hackberry, and Siberian elm(Chinese elm). I know Siberian elm is not a preferred wood but I had two drop two trees and didn’t want to waste it. The new log splitter works so well at splitting that stuff though! Referencing this link though, https://extension.usu.edu/forestry/resources/forest-products/wood-heating it’s about on par with green ash when dried.

I still have more to split and might have to utilize some outdoor covered storage for some of it. I never dreamed I could fill up a 35’ grain bin!

I got my wood stove 3 years ago and am hoping starting next year to be on to 3 year aged wood. This year is two year aged hickory and 3 year hedge/osage.

Thanks for looking!

Smart move stacking criss cross with the low air movement!
1st year stacked uncovered outside in the sun should be fine.
My stacks are all uncovered oak mostly in shade. Even this works fairly well.

Love the date signs!

Its a good sign when you need to add dates to wood piles!
Bet it gets warm in the bin on those hot summer days.

Reactions: stoveliker
Pardon my ignorance with US farming set ups.
Is there a roof vent in the top?
If so, with hot air exiting there, I'd add some air inlets all around at the bottom. That'll move the moist air nicely up and away when the sun shines.

Pardon my ignorance with US farming set ups.
Is there a roof vent in the top?
If so, with hot air exiting there, I'd add some air inlets all around at the bottom. That'll move the moist air nicely up and away when the sun shines.
Yeah the whole roof is vented around the perimeter. I could definitely add some vents around. That’s a good idea. The 7foot door opening should add some flow but may not exchange a lot of air towards the back.

Reactions: stoveliker
You won't need a lot of flow/wind. Look in the solar kiln threads here; small openings in the plastic, natural convection only. As long as you gradually replace humid air that absorbed the moisture from the wood, that moisture will keep flowing out. For that you won't have to have a blowing wind going through the place.

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd