My room smells a little smokey ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
I came back from the airport and my room has a light smoke smell to it ... my pellet stove was burning all night and when i first got up it didn't smell.... however it was really really windy this morning... could that be it
my pipe goes out .. then up and straight out

we need more info, iceman. Brand/model of stove, actualy pipe configuration, age of unit, last time cleaned, etc.

HarryBack said:
we need more info, iceman. Brand/model of stove, actualy pipe configuration, age of unit, last time cleaned, etc.

accentra freestanding
out of stove into 90 up 1ft into 45 straight out (which is about 30 inches)
2 yo stove

iceman said:
HarryBack said:

accentra freestanding
2 yo stove
Sounds like it could be the problem whats on the end of the pipe (outside)

GVA said:
iceman said:
HarryBack said:

accentra freestanding
2 yo stove

what do you mean it just has a standard pellet side vent cap if thats what you call it
what do i need

iceman said:
GVA said:
iceman said:
HarryBack said:

accentra freestanding
2 yo stove

what do you mean it just has a standard pellet side vent cap if thats what you call it
what do i need
Standard........ There are several varieties
one is like a dryer vent with a little flapper door
Harry Mentions using a 45* elbow at the termination (this is for max flow)
I have what looks like a cone .....I have no idea what it's called (maybe a turbo something or other)
I have heard of people using vertical terminations on a horizontal pipe (VERY BAD IDEA)

GVA said:
iceman said:
GVA said:
iceman said:
HarryBack said:

accentra freestanding
2 yo stove

what do i need
Standard........ There are several varieties
one is like a dryer vent with a little flapper door
Harry Mentions using a 45* elbow at the termination (this is for max flow)
I have what looks like a cone .....I have no idea what it's called (maybe a turbo something or other)
I have heard of people using vertical terminations on a horizontal pipe (VERY BAD IDEA)

mine looks like a dryer vent but no little flap in
use a 45 with the dryer type?
the turbo one you have does that increase flow

No I beleive it's main purpose is if a direct gust of wind were to blow at it it is diffused out away from the pellet pipe I'll try to find it and let you know what it is.

pellet caps have dampers? Where GVA? news to me. I would love to see a photo or a link if you have one. :)
Is the pipe sealed to the stove?
Is it possible that you had a power outage when you werent home and the stove was running?
Are all the sections of pipe glued or taped?

MountainStoveGuy said:
pellet caps have dampers? Where GVA? news to me. I would love to see a photo or a link if you have one. :)
Is it possible that you had a power outage when you werent home and the stove was running?
Damn.... I can't find it, but then again I can't find the one that I have either. The cone one.

the cone one was made by metal fab, there cool. If it had a damper it would put to much backpressure on the unit and there not produced to my knowledge.

The horizontal jet cap....... What a PITA that was to find Thanks MSG for the Manufacturers name.
The dryer damper....... that may have been actually what it was as some sights I was just searching had pellet terminations and dryer vents listed on the same page.

anyway he seems to have a fairly straight run of pipe and it has been very very windy here in Mass today Thought this could be his problem and was just probing to see what he had on as the termination. He hasn't had the smoke smell since his install till now.

More likely you have a leak on a seam or joint on your vent pipe inside the house. It will be more noticable during ignition of the stove. Try starting the stove in a dark room, use a flashlight to watch for any wisps of smoke from the joints or seams while the stove is igniting. You will have maximum smoke during ignition, less likely to notice any smoke smell once the stove is burning.

[quote author="MountainStoveGuy" date="1165637978"]pellet caps have dampers? Where GVA? news to me. I would love to see a photo or a link if you have one. :)
Are all the sections of pipe glued or taped?[/quote

no power outage was gone an hr tops and none of the clocks were blinking
everything is sealed except where the stove connect to the pipe but it is a very tight
i suppose that could be it but it has NEVER done that before but then again it was windy as heck this morning

then i suppose it blew back up the stack.. thats totally possoble if the wind was blowing in the direction of the cap. If you take if 5' verticle it will help.

iceman said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

no power outage was gone an hr tops and none of the clocks were blinking
everything is sealed except where the stove connect to the pipe but it is a very tight
i suppose that could be it but it has NEVER done that before but then again it was windy as heck this morning

pelletheat said:
More likely you have a leak on a seam or joint on your vent pipe inside the house. It will be more noticable during ignition of the stove. Try starting the stove in a dark room, use a flashlight to watch for any wisps of smoke from the joints or seams while the stove is igniting. You will have maximum smoke during ignition, less likely to notice any smoke smell once the stove is burning.

all joints etc are tight have run the smoke test and between silicone/tape it is real tight
maybe it blew back in the stack and came out where it joins the stove that is the only place possible
the stove was running all night prior
a strong gust must have sent everything backwards forcing the air out there haven't smelled anything sense
one stove shop said i would draft better using a 4 inch pipe any suggestions

if your going verticle 4 inch pipe would help. I dont see how it would help in a horizontal aplication.

MountainStoveGuy said:
if your going verticle 4 inch pipe would help. I dont see how it would help in a horizontal aplication.

okay i don't want to run the vertical up my house it would look bad
who knows the neighbors might complain
the way it is no you can barely see the pipe from the street do to the shrubs around it
but the 45 then the cap might help

it might help a little. You can double check that the flue collar is taped well to the pipe, and just deal with alittle smoke if its super windy on the side of the house the vent is on. it doenst sound like its too often.

another possibility...dirty igniter. With a dirty igniter, the pellets will fill the burn pot up, warming slowly, causing early pyrolysis of the pellets, but not ignition (lots of smoke in burn chamber)....this can ignite suddenly and explosively, causing the door gaskets, and all the other gaskets for that matter, to "puff" when the uncombusted gas combusts...all at once. Its scary if you dont expect it....sometimes you hear damper flutter just before it happens, sometimes not.

iceman said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

the way it is no you can barely see the pipe from the street do to the shrubs around it
vegetation (and mulch) are to be kept clear 36" from the center of termination cap per the manual...... Hope you got this as a direct vent pipe throws sparks out more than a out and up.

iceman said:

Just read through again and saw this part here......^

you should get the 600* tape (at least) and cover this seam for additional safety.
Just an opinion here :red:

GVA said:
iceman said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

vegetation (and mulch) are to be kept clear 36" from the center of termination cap per the manual...... Hope you got this as a direct vent pipe throws sparks out more than a out and up.

it has more than 36 inches the height of the stuff around prevents you from seeing it
but if i go up will be an eyesore

HarryBack said:
another possibility...dirty igniter. With a dirty igniter, the pellets will fill the burn pot up, warming slowly, causing early pyrolysis of the pellets, but not ignition (lots of smoke in burn chamber)....this can ignite suddenly and explosively, causing the door gaskets, and all the other gaskets for that matter, to "puff" when the uncombusted gas combusts...all at once. Its scary if you dont expect it....sometimes you hear damper flutter just before it happens, sometimes not.

how do i clean the ignitor

Status
Not open for further replies.