My first chimney sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BethelStrong

Dec 12, 2018
Ohio
Not only is this my first sweep of the year, but my first ever. I have a Quadrafire Millennium 3100, and I’m burning 3 year old season wood, some of which is getting wet from rain, so I wasn’t sure what to expect.

I got about 3 ounces of fine dust from the chimney and stovepipe, both of which are 6 foot lengths 6 inch doublewall pipe. I also got about 1 ounce of what appears to be creosote off the cap. I’m assuming the cap forms creosote due to it being colder and “single wall”, and I’m wondering if the black dust from the chimney is even creosote (is it mostly soot?)

My first chimney sweep My first chimney sweep

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only is this my first sweep of the year, but my first ever. I have a Quadrafire Millennium 3100, and I’m burning 3 year old season wood, some of which is getting wet from rain, so I wasn’t sure what to expect.

I got about 3 ounces of fine dust from the chimney and stovepipe, both of which are 6 foot lengths 6 inch doublewall pipe. I also got about 1 ounce of what appears to be creosote off the cap. I’m assuming the cap forms creosote due to it being colder and “single wall”, and I’m wondering if the black dust from the chimney is even creosote (is it mostly soot?)

View attachment 241435
View attachment 241436

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is creosote, but being such a small amount, it serves as evidence that you are doing well.

Nice job

Reactions: Dix
It is creosote, but being such a small amount, it serves as evidence that you are doing well.

Nice job

Am I? Well thanks, although I’m not exactly sure what I’m doing hahaha

Maybe it’s the stove?

I do feel my wood was seasoned, and except for recent wet/rain burns, it’s lit very well. I also know I get hot fires, sometimes too hot :)

Reactions: pen
I believe even soot is still considered creosote (aka: stage one creosote) not much in that cup, so that seems good. We’re you able to get a good visual of your chimney after sweeping to see if you got it all?

Reactions: BethelStrong
I believe even soot is still considered creosote (aka: stage one creosote) not much in that cup, so that seems good. We’re you able to get a good visual of your chimney after sweeping to see if you got it all?

Oh ok. It just looked/felt much different than what was on the cap. The chimney was a superfine dust, while the cap was more like glassy flakes.

How about those logs that supposedly cleans the creosote, and claims to prevent as much buildup?

I’m not a pro, but it sounds all pretty normal. The cap normally gets a bit crusty. As long as that cap buildup is not too excessive or creating draft problems you are ok.
overall, it sounds like you’re doing well.

The sweeping logs seem unnecessary for the minimal buildup you are getting. If you have the know how to sweep you own chimney, it seems like a waste.
BTW, your chimney is Class A chimney, correct? You mentioned “double wall” and wanted to make sure you were set up correctly.

The sweeping logs seem unnecessary for the minimal buildup you are getting. If you have the know how to sweep you own chimney, it seems like a waste.

That’s what I was wondering, but thought maybe it could do something special. Or, mechanical + chemical one-two punch [emoji2935] [emoji3037]

I have never used a chimney sweeping log. Burn dry wood and it probably will not be necessary for your setup either.

BG is right. The chem stuff still only helps you in physically sweeping away problems associated with burning poorly or wood that isn’t well seasoned.

Keep on doing well. I get mainly stage 1 creosote ( essentially soot) from most of my chimney, but get a little 2 and 3 on the cap.

I use a wire brush on the cap to get it back to new

BG is right. The chem stuff still only helps you in physically sweeping away problems associated with burning poorly or wood that isn’t well seasoned.

Keep on doing well. I get mainly stage 1 creosote ( essentially soot) from most of my chimney, but get a little 2 and 3 on the cap.

I use a wire brush on the cap to get it back to new

That seems to be what I’m getting, based on feedback here. Hell, I’m stoked (pun intended) that I haven’t burnt the house down with my install. Having decent first year burns is definitely a bonus.

Thanks to all giving feedback, I appreciate it.