My Englander Furnace install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhambi

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Sep 10, 2010
UT
Another long time lurker finally jumping into the fray. :cheese:

Current setup: 110K BTU Plus90 propane furnace. I hate propane. Main floor: KozyHeat z42. Basement: 1980's Lopi

Dream setup: Geothermal forced air in place of Propane. 28-3500 furnace in basement, Z42 on main.

I'm one step closer now, my Englander add on furnace arrived last week (thank you overstockstoves.com!). My 12 year old son and I gently eased it off the pickup and got it into the place formerly occupied by the Lopi. Now I'm getting ready to hook everything all up and have a couple of questions, as HVAC stuff isn't my area of expertise...

The main one has to do with clearance issues... see the attached pic. The 8" hot air line will enter the main plenum inline with the right edge of the overhead duct (one of the main trunks). That leaves me with 11" of space between the duct and the propane lines/regulator... any issues with that?

My Englander Furnace install

Also, note that there is a propane (tracpipe) that runs from the regulator, across the top of the main trunk over to a water heater (you can see it in between the main trunk and the return air to the right). Is there any issue with that being in such close proximity now that I'm dumping 'add on furnace air' into that duct?

Anyway, I'm excited to get this up and going. I'll take a bunch more pics tonight (camera battery died last night) as I go along.

Where is your chimney going to go in the picture?

You may not need Geothermal once you get the Englander in place and ducted correctly.

freeburn said:
Where is your chimney going to go in the picture?

Sorry, the Englander (and the chimney, already existing) is just to the left in this picture.

freeburn said:
You may not need Geothermal once you get the Englander in place and ducted correctly.

The geothermal is backup for when I get old and don't want to cut wood anymore... :lol:

Freeburn - You run a 28-3500 if I'm not mistaken... what kind of temps are you getting out of your hot air duct (close to the stove) My HVAC installer is looking up clearances for the regulator/pipe, but it's going to come down to temp.

Any other 28-3500 owners chime in... air/duct temps you get.

Thanks!

mhambi said:
freeburn said:

The geothermal is backup for when I get old and don't want to cut wood anymore... :lol:

Freeburn - You run a 28-3500 if I'm not mistaken... what kind of temps are you getting out of your hot air duct (close to the stove) My HVAC installer is looking up clearances for the regulator/pipe, but it's going to come down to temp.

Any other 28-3500 owners chime in... air/duct temps you get.

Thanks!

I've never taken measurements on the temp close to the stove. I know that the clearances to combustibles are given on the plate on the back of the furnace, FWIW. YOu can always put a piece of tin up between the heat pipe and the propane pipe just to keep radiant heat off of it. That would have to be mounted so that it's not touching the propane line though or the heat will transfer through the tin to the pipe causing adverse effects. Keep us posted on your progress and keep firing the questions, eventually someone else will come on that may know more.

freeburn said:
Did you ever get this installed?

Yes!

Man, I've been so busy that I haven't gotten any pics yet. I'll try to get some tonight and put them up.

In that picture above the 8" duct from the stove feeds directly into the main plenum. I removed the 2nd propane line (furthest away) because that line isn't used anymore (replaced propane WH with GE hybrid). That line ran over the trunk line and was getting pretty hot so I thought it was better to cap it off at the source.

Still trying to get it all dialed in as far as burning and adjusting the furnace blower etc... But happy so far. It was 32 yesterday morning and 75 inside without really trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.