Moving Oil Tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil tank to oil burner (boiler or furnace) is 10', so I'm thinking that the wood boiler will have to be at least that far away... maybe more. I'm sure someone here knows.

Do they still make the nice thick tanks anymore? My folks put in a new tank last year and if it's 14 gauge steel I'd be surprised.

I'm working on a tank right now, modifying it a bit for use as a diesel storage tank.... just came in for supper.

I had to weld in new fittings as I needed 3 2" ports. It had 3 holes, but one 2", 1 1.5" and 1 1.25" I'm not sure of the age of the tank but it's a nice solid 10 gauge tank.

I'm not sure what tanks cost new, but used ones go for ~$300 around here.

I would say 12 ga is more common. Pretty sure you can get 10 ga. though.

I haven't priced one for a while and I'm not on my work computer, but I think they're around $600 or $700 here (12 ga).

I've got two used tanks in good condition. If only I could get them to Alaska cheaply. They don't go for $300 around here. More like $100 to $150.

We should call them gold tanks......... As it costs more for the first time fill than a total new install.

TS

Do your self a favor look into a Roth tank they are expensive but plastic lined tank inside a galvanized outside tank the things last forever and insurance companies love them lol can be put inside or outside with a kit that makes a roof on them but if you don't want to buy new get a 5 gallon desil can and put oil lines or line in it I have done this when oil tanks leek the winter if the oil tank is a 275 gal wait until empty and go get a case of beer and invite a freind over you can move and install in a day with 2 people

You and me both. My Dad and brother have SEVERAL just collecting dust up in Maine and they would have gave me one if it wasn't for the shipping.

Working on getting the tank painted, but I called to get it filled and gonna run me about $1000.

I would say 12 ga is more common. Pretty sure you can get 10 ga. though.

I haven't priced one for a while and I'm not on my work computer, but I think they're around $600 or $700 here (12 ga).

I've got two used tanks in good condition. If only I could get them to Alaska cheaply. They don't go for $300 around here. More like $100 to $150.

Status
Not open for further replies.