Moving Heat Thru House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JoyfullMommy006

Dec 15, 2017
Midwest
New to wood burning and this forum! I did a quick search but couldn't find this answer. If you could direct me to the right spot, I'm happy to do my own digging and reading. :)

We have a wood burner in the upstairs part of our home. Seems to circulate the heat fairly well but it could be better. We do have a ceiling fan in the wood burner room and at the thermostat I always have the fan set to on. We've placed a vent in the wood burner room with ducts and a vent fan to the downstairs but it really doesn't seem to be helping. Downstairs is a finished basement but it's only halfway in the ground (does that make sense? we don't have tiny basement windows but full sized windows.)

I'm looking for ways to move the heat around the house.
THanks for your help!

Moving heat can be tricky in of itself, trying to move it against where it wants to go makes the task harder, but it can be done. First question is where the vent is located in the stove room. Is it along the floor or up near the ceiling?

Moving heat can be tricky in of itself, trying to move it against where it wants to go makes the task harder, but it can be done. First question is where the vent is located in the stove room. Is it along the floor or up near the ceiling?

Thanks so much for your reply!
The vent is up nearer to the ceiling

Attachments

• Moving Heat Thru House
    IMG_20171215_094348.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 152
As you are noting, the stove is an area heater. Add to this that warm air wants to go up, not down. This makes heating a basement from the first floor quite hard to do. If the heat loss in the basement is high then it can be just about impossible.

You'll have to put another stove down there. Buy home-grown to promote Don Trump's dream of an even greater America. ::-)

Thanks so much for your reply!
The vent is up nearer to the ceiling

If that is the vent your using by the door. Its a little small
Also you want to grab the warmest air which is way up on the ceiling. Green had a good point. If the basement is cold its an uphill battle. So if its a cold area your going to need a higher volume of air.

Moving the cold air towards the heat can work well even though it seems counter productive. This will most likely only work if you can get circulation going in the house.

The stove is a space heater. Ceiling fan makes it more effective in that room (make sure it's set to blow air up toward the ceiling). You're not going to heat the downstairs with that stove, period. No matter what you do.

Reactions: begreen