Mount Vernon AE vs. Enviro M55?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than the Accentra, I found this one that can be installed in a prefab fireplace:

http://www.avalonfirestyles.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=186

But it's 45K BTU, in the same range as the Accentra as opposed to the M55 and Mt. Vernon in the 55K-60K BTU range.

If you don't want to go with the Mt. Vernon, I'd agree with the above that the Accentra is the way to go. It was my second choice if I hadn't gotten the Mt. Vernon.

[quote author="noremorse63" date="1328501088"]Actually it is the same dealer, I am going to get a few more quotes for sure. They have been pushing the Mt Vernon as soon as I walked in and didn't even tell me about the M55, I figured that out from reading here:) I think I will make a drive to PA and see what they are offering--at least call them and ask.[/quote

You would not be in carroll county by chance. If so let me know, I have been looking at a few dealers in westminster, and have found some good ones in gettysburg and hanover. I would be interested in hearing from you due to the fact im in the process of getting quotes for a new install as well.

I am in Harford County, pretty close to PA as well. I have narrowed it down to 1 dealer. This is after doing TONS of research and calling 6 different stores. I think they are a little high on price, however, their reputation and detailed knowledge is worth it in my opinion. I sent you a PM with more information.

noremorse63 said:
I looked at the Harman, however, I am looking for the highest BTU ratings possible and the Mt Vernon and M55 seem to be the highest I can find. On another note, I was reading the M55 manual myself and it seems to contradict itself when it mentions installing in a zero clearance fireplace--so now I am really confused
max BTU assume that you are running the thing on max...55k or 45k...you'll be running the thing at 30k once the house is warm. You can always buy a softwood and gain an extra 1k BTU per hr.

that M55...a lot of hype with a price tag to match. Installing one Saturday, maybe I'll come around.

noremorse63 said:
I am in Harford County, pretty close to PA as well. I have narrowed it down to 1 dealer. This is after doing TONS of research and calling 6 different stores. I think they are a little high on price, however, their reputation and detailed knowledge is worth it in my opinion. I sent you a PM with more information.

There is a Quad dealer in DE advertising on Philly craigslist, trying to clear out some inventory. Might be close enough for you fellas if you decide to look into a Mt. Vernon. ;)

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/2815416468.html

Had to join in this... Anyone comparing these 2 stoves will always support his/her side... As a dealer who has sold both stoves- the MV when it came out was a revolution in technology- except it wasnt ready yet and had lots of issues when it works there is no better quad the M55 is the latest multi fuel that combines convenience and quietness utter quietness. Its had issues too, growing pains that were not as painful as the AE- the AE was/is not a normal pellet stove- its software exclusive for its running- the maint is harder due to its layout- its very heavy and of course has attractive styling- but so is the M55. Repairing the AE is expensive the M55 is more conventional and the M55 self cleaning system is superior. From what I've seen, the M55 is quieter, less complicated to maintain, easier to service and clean (the slide out chassis a la Harman), more service people would be able to maintain the M55. The 10-15 percent less cost isn't a bad thing either. My Enviro bias is showing but its valid if you want to be fair. Good luck to everyone but those install prices seem high we deliver and would install an insert with liner for around 1000-1100 above stove cost (M55 cast black currently is around 3950. (MSRP Now is 4049.)

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 (bulletproof) pellet
Enviro Empress (FPI) Antique chestnut (wife had to have)
Enviro 1700 FS wood (I had to have)

Great info on the M55 Stovelark!!! I've been researching this stove for some time and hearing good things about it. Hopefully by now they have most of the bugs worked out of the unit. I'm needing a high btu insert that will hang in there with a Quad AE. I prefer not to have the AE given it's complexities and higher cost to repair later down the road.

Thanks,

AR

Status
Not open for further replies.