Mount Vernon AE Maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AJA

Jan 18, 2018
Albuquerque, NM
Bought my MV AE in 2011... awesome, if a bit daunting to repair. Years ago I replaced an igniter and have managed some easy repairs. It's been kicking major ass, but I'm going through the third big storm of the season and I worry about things giving out and wondering what's worthwhile to upgrade and/or to have on hand.
Question One: There's a burn pot/igniter/gasket and bolts upgrade available for 160 bucks. Everything's working fine right now, but is this worth having on hand? If the pot has been fine, any reason to 'upgrade'? Should I wait until summer and take it out (which I've never done) and give it a thorough cleaning? Or, should I just have an extra igniter on hand?
Question Two: I worry about the auto cleaning mechanism/springs. Have these been known to break down? Never had a problem, but it always worries me.
Question Three: Overall, what parts typically wear quickest and/or go down first? What extra parts do you fine people keep on hand for Remove and Replace situations?

Thanks!!!!

I'm new to pellet stoves, so I haven't got all this worked out, but I did get an inexpensive AMP ignitor, just to have on hand. I'm seriously considering getting some door gasket, too.

Having spare igniters is a must. If you are burning pellets and having no issues igniting, I wouldn't worry about the newer firepot. All it is, is an opening put in the igniter housing and a couple holes, to help more super heated air to get into pot and start fire quicker. Mostly for burning corn. I did the mods myself, using a Dremel tool. I would put a pic on here, but don't know how. And if the stove didn't come with a re-useable exhaust gasket, I would get one as you need to remove and clean the exhaust fan and housing annually. And I would put some high temp anti-seize grease on the pot bolts, to make it easier to remove down the road if need be. The springs on the auto clean can wear out, but I don't keep spares around as access to parts is relatively easy online or from dealers. A spare firepot thermocouple is good and the cover too. Most of the other parts are too expensive to buy spares. Just remember, a clean stove is a happy stove, and will give you less trouble.Do you get many outages of power in your area? If so you may want to have the battery backup cord. Stay warm. kap

Having spare igniters is a must. If you are burning pellets and having no issues igniting, I wouldn't worry about the newer firepot. All it is, is an opening put in the igniter housing and a couple holes, to help more super heated air to get into pot and start fire quicker. Mostly for burning corn. I did the mods myself, using a Dremel tool. I would put a pic on here, but don't know how. And if the stove didn't come with a re-useable exhaust gasket, I would get one as you need to remove and clean the exhaust fan and housing annually. And I would put some high temp anti-seize grease on the pot bolts, to make it easier to remove down the road if need be. The springs on the auto clean can wear out, but I don't keep spares around as access to parts is relatively easy online or from dealers. A spare firepot thermocouple is good and the cover too. Most of the other parts are too expensive to buy spares. Just remember, a clean stove is a happy stove, and will give you less trouble.Do you get many outages of power in your area? If so you may want to have the battery backup cord. Stay warm. kap

Thanks for the info! What online dealer do you find reliable (or do you order from Quadrafire?). Something I definitely need to do is get some help in moving my stand alone a few inches from the alcove I built for it... access to the back panels is difficult, which makes my troubleshooting and repairs stressful! I wish I'd had the foresight to have installed it with better access! Is there an online dealer of vent pipe and accessories you like? Thanks again!!! Your experience and generosity is appreciated!

Most any place on line. Just google and see who has best prices and ratings. kap