Another Mt Vernon AE missed ignition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jp1957

May 7, 2024
Puyallup, wa.
So have read up on what I could find.

Igniter gets 118v, 46ohm resistance.

On power up, auger spins. No flames. Stove is cleaned. Sometimes (rarely) get auger jammed. I can't move the auger by hand.

I tried throwing a few pellets in the burn pot, no flames. So I'm rather at a loss. igniter checks fine

Thoughts?

One Question does the Combustion fan come on when starting?

Is the igniter getting physically hot? Is the burnpot warm? If not, sounds like the ignitor is not getting turned on. You mention 118V 48 ohms, did you resistance check the ignitor with power turned off? 45-50 ohms is the normal ignitor resistance, infinite is its burned out. The AE is an unusual unit, believe it has a burnpot thermocouple that determines if ignitor turns on and lights pellets. I believe it can be either that thermocouple, wiring to the control board, or the board itself. Need Kap from QFire to chime in...

Is the igniter getting physically hot? Is the burnpot warm? If not, sounds like the ignitor is not getting turned on. You mention 118V 48 ohms, did you resistance check the ignitor with power turned off? 45-50 ohms is the normal ignitor resistance, infinite is its burned out. The AE is an unusual unit, believe it has a burnpot thermocouple that determines if ignitor turns on and lights pellets. I believe it can be either that thermocouple, wiring to the control board, or the board itself. Need Kap from QFire to chime in...
I feel heat down in the burnpot, but if its enough, I dunno. I measured the igniter disconnected, as thats the only accurate way to measure it. As I understand it, the thermocouple is to sense flame has begun so as to transition the stove from startup > normal modes. I'm not even getting fire. I know vacuum is also a component in ignition.

The quizzical part is its not even throwing pellets on startup, and i cant turn the auger by hand. But on startup I see the auger spinning for like 60s which is supposed to normal. So I dunno what means, if anything. I do see voltage going to the igniter, so its all rather contradictory.

Pulled the auger, should I be able to turn it by hand?

Cleaned out auger and feed tube, I think there was blockage there. Restarted, didnt feed any pellets at all and still got missed ignition

Interesting update, restarted stove, waited for auto clean, and then threw some pellets in. It started up AND I'm hearing the auger turning.

So that says igniter fine, thermocouple fine.

I'm gonna guess at this point its either the optical sensor on the auger, or the auger motor itself if/when it fails again.

I know in the past optical sensor causes that issue, I think you are on it. Maybe clean around the optic sensor too.