Mositure meter preferences

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Delmhorst, with pins.

The $19 harbor freight version is adequate for firewood. They are nothing more than an ohm meter that converts the resistance to a % moisture content.

They do work. I need a Delmhorst, not for wood but for forage RM, I'm a commercial hay grower. Delmhorst makes a 2 prong wood moisture tester accessory. I have one.

If my livelihood depended on moisture content accuracy like yours does I would have one like that as well.

If my livelihood depended on moisture content accuracy like yours does I would have one like that as well.

Very expensive and accurate. The base unit retails for 250 bucks and the probes are extra. I like it because I can set a moisture threshold and when it reaches the pre set it alarms so I don't ever have to look at the readout plus it interfaces with moisture sensing shoes in my balers so I can get real time moisture levels while bailing which is not germane to testing wood but is for my line of work. Once I set the RM limit, I never have to look at it which is important when bailing. Lots of other stuff going on, no need to add to that.

I ve got by all these years without one, now that I'm cutting fresh stuff on my property I'd like to monitor the dryness. I all for have the best tool for the job but I dont thin I'll be buying that one unless it sucks the extra moisture out of the wood for me

Think about batteries too. I tried the cheap CEN-TECH from Harbor freight and it required new batteries every 6 months or less ( frustrating). I now have the General with the original batteries ( 3 + years )

Think about batteries too. I tried the cheap CEN-TECH from Harbor freight and it required new batteries every 6 months or less ( frustrating). I now have the General with the original batteries ( 3 + years )

View attachment 256127View attachment 256129
The General is the one I have. Cant even remember what battery it takes. The one that came with it is still working 3 years later. Maybe I got it from big orange?