Moisture meter fun

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I started burning some hickory and oak that I got last year that was "seasoned" and found it to be dragging behind the stuff I was burning earlier this year. So I went to Lowe's and got a moisture meter. Fresh splits on a bunch of different original size splits (making bigger ones smaller) showed moisture to be 17-19%. There was a piece of cherry in there that read 14%. I split the splits smaller and they are burning much better so I am guessing that it's split size, so once again size does matter.

I checked the rest of my stuff just for fun. Ash that was dead standing but still had water come out of it when c/s/s last May read 19%. Hickory that was dead standing 14%, some various stuff in my stacks that had been in the round for years but split and stacked last summer show 18%, and finally the hickory c/s/s in December showed 30%.

I like my new toy.

fv

fireview2788 said:
I like my new toy.

I just purchased a "General Tool" MM from Lowes and I'm looking forward to playing with it. I'm not convinced, yet, that it's an accurate tool, but it will be fun. :coolsmile:

I don't have a MM but I want one. I doubt they are very accurate but the important thing is that they show a difference in moisture. I don't care if my 19% on my MM is the same as your 19% on yours. What I do care about is it showing a difference in moisture content between different splits at my house. 30% on fresh cut vs 10% on some seasoned stuff. Thats what I really care about.

My cheapy is more than accurate enough for me, I base this fact on my years of cutting wood, every piece of wood I have checked has made perfect sense to me, a few surprises here and there but nothing that led me to believe the MM was not reading correctly.

For me a moisture meter has been more than a just a fun tool. Since I pretty much only cut dead standing trees I plan on burning right away, or at least the same year, having and using a moisture meter has helped me immensely to figure out which trees will be ready to burn right away.
As for the accuracy, they are probably a lot more accurate in perecentage points that most stove thermometers are in degree points.
But then I guess stove thermometers can be fun tools too, even if they are not really as accurate as moisture meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.