Modern vs old stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There are still plenty of budget stoves available at roughly the same cost as pre 2020 regs. Yes prices have gone up on stoves but the spikes we saw didn't really correspond with the 2020 regs. They went up with the increase in steel prices then with increase in transportation costs.
agreed, steel prices probably was the big factor but many design changes, cats and testing costs didn’t help either. I’d hate to see what cats will cost down the road. I remember paying $100 for my Woodstock cat about 10 years ago, now they're $160.

You can still go get a "classic" stove if you like getting in double the wood for the same heat.

Ranting about the EPA is an odd choice on a wood stove forum though. I grew up with the old stoves, and that experience has made me quite grateful that someone forced the stove manufacturers to get a few things figured out.

Reactions: begreen and bholler
People who usually come to the forum are those seeking info, those with a problem, and stove enthusiasts. We don't hear from the many thousands of people that are happily heating with their stoves.

FWIW, if you didn't baby sit our old Jotul F602 closely after a fresh load, it would take off like a rocket.

Just wanted to write in and say I am happily heating away with my modern stove . . . keeping quite warm actually.

Reactions: bholler
Just wanted to write in and say I am happily heating away with my modern stove . . . keeping quite warm actually.
I have three I am currently using and a Woodchuck smoke dragon stuffed in the corner of the basement with junk pile around it with zero thoughts of ever hooking it up again.

Reactions: firefighterjake