Minisplit drain - Carpenter Ant Highway ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
They'll travel 300 feet or so from their nest to find new food or nesting spots. I was up 20 feet in the air painting clapboards on my house when one walked in front of me. They were walking 100ft down an old, unused phone line to my house!

Buy a product called bifenthrin (Bifen IT) from a company called "Do your own pest control". Mix at a rate of 1 oz per gallon in a tank sprayer. Spray a good fine coat 3 ft up and 3 ft around your whole house, essentially covering 6 ft. Your ants will be gone, and it will cost much less that one exterminator visit.

Buy a product called bifenthrin (Bifen IT) from a company called "Do your own pest control". Mix at a rate of 1 oz per gallon in a tank sprayer. Spray a good fine coat 3 ft up and 3 ft around your whole house, essentially covering 6 ft. Your ants will be gone, and it will cost much less that one exterminator visit.

termidor from the same supplier totally stopped carpenter ant life at the highbeam farm.

termidor from the same supplier totally stopped carpenter ant life at the highbeam farm.

Yes, I've used Termidor as well, and I think it works even better than Bifen IT. It is quite a bit more costly however, it depends on the job. We had a big problem with Carpenter ants, and the first thing my wife did was call an exterminator who mixed up a batch of Termidor. I noted the product he used and how he used it. He was actually very helpful, and told me to watch for a Carpenter ant with a hunk of food in it's mouth, as it was surely heading back to the nest. It took about 20 minutes, but it made it back to the Oak tree the nest was it. He sprayed about a 6ft band all around the tree, and then all around the cabin. We weren't able to get back to the cabin for about 2 weeks, and there were zero ants in the cabin, and a huge pile of dead ants at the base of the tree. The stuff really works. The key is not to overdose. Termidor is a non repellent, you want them the track in as much as they can until they reach the Queen, after that the whole colony was dead.
My youngest daughter just got married and we had the reception in the back yard. The mosquitoes were terrible this year due to a very wet spring. My wife was concerned about the mosquitoes, so I used a pull behind sprayer 2 days before the wedding, using Bifen IT. There was not a mosquito to be found. If you're going to spray grass (lawn) cut it really short before you spray, you don't want any dandelions or clover flowers exposed as this will kill honeybees as well.

Reactions: Highbeam