Minimum Clearance to Combustibles and Pad Ember Protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sesro1978

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2008
Vermont, USA
Hi-

If installing a wood stove, is the ember protection provided by a hearth pad included in the minimum clearance to combustibles calculation?

For example, if I have a stove that requires 6" of ember protection on each side of the stove and the minimum clearance to combustibles is 15"...is giving the stove 15" of clearance sufficient in terms of accounting for the ember protection, ...or does the 6" need to be added to the 15" for a total of 21"?

I've looked through the stove manual's and haven't found a definitive answer. I'm thinking the 15" is sufficient as, logically, it reasons that 15" would meet the ember protection requirement.

Thanks!

No, the ember protection is for the floor and is separate and different from clearance to combustibles. They are two independent measurements.

No, if the stove clearance to the wall is 15" then it remains 15". The hearth pad distance to the wall would be subtractive or 9" for the case specified.

ember protection is perimeter on the floor around the base of the stove. clearance to combustibles is distance from sides / back of stove to a combustible surface like a wall or furniture.