Mid season chimney sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
I just cleaned the liner in the masonry chimney. About 18-20 feet. Burning 24/7 since mid/late October. About 2 cups of dry soot, not the shiny stuff. Is 2 cups too much?

Reactions: Tar12
IMO, you’re doing pretty good.

Two cups doesn't sound bad to me, that and no shiny or worse would make me happy. How many cords would you guess and do you do many cold starts?

Sounds good to me.

I only cleaned my masonry chimney at the end of the season and I got a 5 gallon bucket out of it. So I say you're doing very well
:eek: That chimney needs much more frequent cleaning and drier wood :ZZZ

Its been early cold this year, that's not bad, I bet you wouldn't get much more of you waited til the end of the year but if its not hard to clean might as well do it now.

I just cleaned the liner in the masonry chimney. About 18-20 feet. Burning 24/7 since mid/late October. About 2 cups of dry soot, not the shiny stuff. Is 2 cups too much?
Nope...not to much! Keep on doing what your doing!

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I only cleaned my masonry chimney at the end of the season and I got a 5 gallon bucket out of it. So I say you're doing very well

Way to much, based on the average reported here. I get about a quart of dry flakey stuff. Hopefully it doesn't catch fire. Thats is a lot of fuel to burn.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink