Maybe I'm Crazy....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Old School

Burning Hunk
Jul 15, 2015
Georgia
So I have been burning my current setup for 3 seasons. Insert on main floor and free standing stove in front of fireplace in finished basement. Both are connected to full stainless liners in masonry clay lined fireplaces and chimneys.

Both stoves work great and I should have no reason to change anything, except that I really miss having an open fireplace. I miss sitting by a crackling fire with no blower noise or small viewing glass.

I have found over the years that even though I thought I'd need both stoves and it was of the utmost importance that I have two, I don't use the basement stove much and my insert runs 24/7 on main floor.

I have considered pulling basement stove and liner and just having a fireplace to sit by while in the man cave watching movies, piddling with my hunting gear etc...

My wife thinks I'm crazy for having gone through the trouble and expense of stove and liner just to go back to what we had when we moved in.

Anyone else ever have these crazy thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Since cold air sinks, when the fire place is lit you maybe making your man cave area cooler with replacement air.

Well I think your crazy. But we must have significantly different homes/layout. I have a woodstove downstairs and this is my second season after having converted the upstairs fireplace to a insert. I feel as though I'd never go back. But I heat primarily from the basement, and only run the upstairs insert when it's good and cold out. The stove keeps the basement nice and toasty and the upstairs too. Unless temperatures plummet. It's fully finished/insulated down there but the stove isn't in a 'room'. My staircase runs down the backside of my internal masonry chimney and the stove is just around the corner from the base of the stairs. So for me it works great to heat the whole home from down there. And only using the insert when it's really cold out.

Are there ever times were you have both the stove and insert roasting to keep the house warm, like when a cold spell hits? If so I'd think you'd regret going back to a open fireplace.

Maybe you could make or buy a firescreen for the Huntsman and run it with the door open?

Well I think your crazy. But we must have significantly different homes/layout. I have a woodstove downstairs and this is my second season after having converted the upstairs fireplace to a insert. I feel as though I'd never go back. But I heat primarily from the basement, and only run the upstairs insert when it's good and cold out. The stove keeps the basement nice and toasty and the upstairs too. Unless temperatures plummet. It's fully finished/insulated down there but the stove isn't in a 'room'. My staircase runs down the backside of my internal masonry chimney and the stove is just around the corner from the base of the stairs. So for me it works great to heat the whole home from down there. And only using the insert when it's really cold out.

Are there ever times were you have both the stove and insert roasting to keep the house warm, like when a cold spell hits? If so I'd think you'd regret going back to a open fireplace.

Yes..there are some times both are needed. Maybe 10-15 days a year. Once during a power outage we stayed very warm because we had both. This is the main reason I have given pause to pulling the stove. Staying warm on those cold nights has this far outweighed the desire to enjoy the open fire.

So I have been burning my current setup for 3 seasons. Insert on main floor and free standing stove in front of fireplace in finished basement. Both are connected to full stainless liners in masonry clay lined fireplaces and chimneys.

Both stoves work great and I should have no reason to change anything, except that I really miss having an open fireplace. I miss sitting by a crackling fire with no blower noise or small viewing glass.

I have found over the years that even though I thought I'd need both stoves and it was of the utmost importance that I have two, I don't use the basement stove much and my insert runs 24/7 on main floor.

I have considered pulling basement stove and liner and just having a fireplace to sit by while in the man cave watching movies, piddling with my hunting gear etc...

My wife thinks I'm crazy for having gone through the trouble and expense of stove and liner just to go back to what we had when we moved in.

Anyone else ever have these crazy thoughts???

Not me, not in a million years. I scratch that itch outside with the fire pit. Upgrade to a new stove with lots of glass like Webby suggested, and stay warm.

Have you considered a new stove with big glass and a screen for open door burning?

I would not be opposed to this. I wasn't aware of any new stoves that came with a screen and recommended open door burning.

I had actually considered a Fisher Grandpa or something similar but they require 8" liners. Mine is 6. Even looked at a few of the old Franklin stoves that had the original screens, but figured they weren't much more efficient than open fire.

Don’t do it man.

When you installed the liner and stove do you know of any modifications that may have been done to the damper/firebox? That may sway the decision.

When you installed the liner and stove do you know of any modifications that may have been done to the damper/firebox? That may sway the decision.

Just removed a bolt holding damper adjustment handle. The damper lid came out and liner in without cutting out anything.

Easy peasy sounds like then if everything was in good shape and working before.

I would not be opposed to this. I wasn't aware of any new stoves that came with a screen and recommended open door burning.

I had actually considered a Fisher Grandpa or something similar but they require 8" liners. Mine is 6. Even looked at a few of the old Franklin stoves that had the original screens, but figured they weren't much more efficient than open fire.

Most new stoves have an available spark screen for open door viewing. This way you could still heat if need be. I like an open fireplace too, but man it sucks the heat out! I just can’t justify it anymore.

Easy peasy sounds like then if everything was in good shape and working before.

Yea wouldn't be too difficult, but all the replies this evening have confirmed my suspicions that most think I would regret the decision. No one has stated they went back to a fireplace and are glad they did.

Thanks to Webby I am now going to start researching a stove model designed around open door burning, maybe get the best of both worlds. May not be in the budget this year, but something to think about.

A much wiser decision IMO too.

That's what the grill and fire pit are for. I will also echo the sentiment of a stove with larger viewing glass that comes with the option of a spark screen to run with an open door when it is warm enough to do so.

the Madison from lowes is a pretty fire show and good value for a big stove that puts out a ton of heat

Days like today make having both stoves a good choice and remind me why I do not go back to an open fire. Woke up to 12 f with a windchill of -6 outside and a cozy 72 f inside. I know this is not the cold many are experiencing in the North but it seems awful cold to us down here.

Reactions: redktmrider