May Central Ohio GTG

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
Thought it best to start a seperate thread on a chainsaw GTG sometime in late may. I posted over at arboristsite.com (Central Ohio GTG) to see how much interest there would be. Over the next few months we'll try to nail down a date that works for most people and go from there. For those that have never been to one or heard about it, it is an informal get together for people interested in operating, learning, comparing, and racing chansaws. Even if all you do is cut firewood then this is the perfect event to come to. Thinking about buying a new saw, what better place to try out different saws. My first GTG I got to run a MS361 and 395XP right out of the box new. Where else can you do that? Plus there usually will be modded saws there so those not familiar with them can see how they compare to stock. For details and progress on the event keep an eye on the thread over at arboristsite. My best showing had 150 chainsaws come to the event. You can also see and learn about chains and bars and filing. I am just the host, and I learn something new everytime I attend or go to one. I stress this is learning mostly. The racing in the afternoon is for fun but hopefully some serious racers will show.

For me watching that John Deer 5400 w/BoDozer Grapple would be Awesome.....Around here we pretty much gtg 2 times a month for firewood kinda the whole racing things been played out for me. Its all about how cheap I can bust out 12 cords a year. (And help out the gf son on his 5 cords)

I'm interested.

I too got tired and haven't been to one in 2yrs. Just got the bug the other day and decided to see if I can get a bunch of the old guys togther that used to go to a bunch of them around here and over in IN.

But I want to say my GTGs are NOT work parties. You won't be cutting firewood for me or anyone else. This is purely for learning, bullsh*ittng, and racing if the right people want to come. It cost me 250.00 just for the cants the last time I held one and about 150.00 for the food.

wkpoor said:
I too got tired and haven't been to one in 2yrs. Just got the bug the other day and decided to see if I can get a bunch of the old guys togther that used to go to a bunch of them around here and over in IN.

But I want to say my GTGs are NOT work parties. You won't be cutting firewood for me or anyone else. This is purely for learning, bullsh*ittng, and racing if the right people want to come. It cost me 250.00 just for the cants the last time I held one and about 150.00 for the food.

Yea we pretty much baling someone out or getting things next years wood done. Hunting season or target shooting thats wear we slow down.
Thats is a great way to get more people involved though. Good Luck!

I'd try to make this one. Just watch out for those wacky Cincy area AS'ers. :)

Only a few days into a show of hands over at AS and wow. They are coming out of the woodwork. Got calls from some of the old guys that used to come around. Some aren't into racing as much and some have sold their saws. But nevertheless I hope to see a mix of old familiar faces and new.

Never been to a GTG. I'm intrigued by the racing...how long is the track?

Reactions: BrianK
hey Bill,

maybe I will bring the old Pioneer and show up some of them new saws
and I will give you a call one of these days been busy

Ken

DanCorcoran said:

Its an 18" round track.

Wkpoor - I hope you have a good showing. Its always fun to surround yourself with people of the same likes.

Jags said:
DanCorcoran said:

Its an 18" round track.

Wkpoor - I hope you have a good showing. Its always fun to surround yourself with people of the same likes.

Be careful of what you wish for.....Next you have a full blown racer....

Attachments

• May Central Ohio GTG
    timbersports7.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 370
Well word sure does travel fast. I must have put on a decent show in the past as other sites have picked the news and posted. So much that I have made a call to have the food catered and possibly have a pig or 2 smoked.
Smokin, apparently you don't understand yet. I have had full blown racers to my event. I don't spend hundreds of dollars on cants and own a racing stand just so we can fire up a couple Poulans to lob off cookies. Yes there just might be funny smelling fuel in the air. But in all fairness I don't have a guest list so its basically "hold and they will come".

wkpoor said:
Well word sure does travel fast. I must have put on a decent show in the past as other sites have picked the news and posted. So much that I have made a call to have the food catered and possibly have a pig or 2 smoked.
Smokin, apparently you don't understand yet. I have had full blown racers to my event. I don't spend hundreds of dollars on cants and own a racing stand just so we can fire up a couple Poulans to lob off cookies. Yes there just might be funny smelling fuel in the air. But in all fairness I don't have a guest list so its basically "hold and they will come".

You seem to be in the impression I dont already have one.... Times are changing though. You could just see a new school 880 racer! (That most on as seem to think cant cross cut) ;-)

Below alcohol the fastest saw I ever ran was a PP880 by Dan Henry. I was cutting off 10" cookies at under a sec per pass. That was one wicked saw. Had the option to buy it for 800.00. I'm just not that serious about racing so I passed.

never been to a gtg but the wife and i would love to come to one to get to know the peeps in the hearth community and learn more about wood burning

Sorry to be dumb, but what's "GTG"?

Ken45 said:
Sorry to be dumb, but what's "GTG"?
My first GTG I went to was in southern Ohio below Lucasville.

Brought in some play wood for the morning of the GTG. All cotton wood. Going to look at some hopefully larger stuff this weekend. I like to have several logs set up for saw testing and for people who just want to run saws.May Central Ohio GTG

Earl has graciously donated several pine logs for racing cants.Here is the first to come down. Nice 40 foot log 20" at the base.
May Central Ohio GTGMay Central Ohio GTG

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
BTW that green pine cut so easy ain't no doubt in my mind the ported 357 I cut it with could pull a 28" or larger in that soft stuff. Felt like cutting balsa wood.

Going to try and dig out a 24" bar from my stock of bars and do some testing with the 346PP against 70cc+ saws. I'm personally curious to see how it does.

Going to try and dig out a 24" bar from my stock of bars and do some testing with the 346PP against 70cc+ saws. I'm personally curious to see how it does.

No chance........But good luck!

Hope it is a great one Bill. It looks like the AS saw jockeys are lining up to be there.

Been wanting to come. But didnt have a Big Boy Saw yet..... Well....

I got my 460 now. My BIL just picked up a 562 XP today. I thought he was stuck on the 372, but he surprised me at the dealer today. Thats a good little (yeah right) Saw. Sleek, Fast, and Sexy (Im talkin about my 460). But the 562 is nice too.

Attachments

• May Central Ohio GTG
    2012-04-21_11-26-54_470.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 305
  • May Central Ohio GTG
    2012-04-21_11-27-37_92.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 294
  • May Central Ohio GTG
    2012-04-15_12-51-53_519-1.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 296
Status
Not open for further replies.