Masonry stove question re heating multiple floors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trutemper

Dec 4, 2019
USA
Looking at building a small house, 500ish sq ft footprint withunfi ished basement, main floor, and loft. To heat the basement it seems necessary to have something: wood stove or masonry heater, but the main floor is where most of the action would be including some cooking so it seems to make the most sense to put a masonry stove there. Then i need to support the floor, so maybe it makes sense to have a masonry heater down there in the basement too. If so what would be the best chimney system to accommodate that?Somehow i feel like i havent really hit on the right answer yet so am curious to hear thoughts kn my better options here. Also basement will hopefully have a greenhouse attached, so excess heat during winter could be released there if needed. Fairly cold climate, inland pacific northwest.
Thanks in advance.

Looking at building a small house, 500ish sq ft footprint withunfi ished basement, main floor, and loft. To heat the basement it seems necessary to have something: wood stove or masonry heater, but the main floor is where most of the action would be including some cooking so it seems to make the most sense to put a masonry stove there. Then i need to support the floor, so maybe it makes sense to have a masonry heater down there in the basement too. If so what would be the best chimney system to accommodate that?Somehow i feel like i havent really hit on the right answer yet so am curious to hear thoughts kn my better options here. Also basement will hopefully have a greenhouse attached, so excess heat during winter could be released there if needed. Fairly cold climate, inland pacific northwest.
Thanks in advance.
You would need a separate flue for each probably prefab class a chimney.

What type of masonry heaters are you thinking about

As may be obvious im not wildly experienced in these things. It seems they have gotten more of a following in the ten years since they came on my radar. The basement one doesn't need to be anything super fancy, its just for warmth. Upstairs one would be nice to have a little more aesthetic value. Youre probably asking more technically but i havent done enough research to come to a conclusion. Saw one thats a cabin stove, often has a cooking surface, built with bricks rather than a barrel stove. That seems more my speed. But im among more knowledgeable folks here: what are pros and cons of different types i should be evaluating?

As may be obvious im not wildly experienced in these things. It seems they have gotten more of a following in the ten years since they came on my radar. The basement one doesn't need to be anything super fancy, its just for warmth. Upstairs one would be nice to have a little more aesthetic value. Youre probably asking more technically but i havent done enough research to come to a conclusion. Saw one thats a cabin stove, often has a cooking surface, built with bricks rather than a barrel stove. That seems more my speed. But im among more knowledgeable folks here: what are pros and cons of different types i should be evaluating?
One major problem with masonry heaters is meeting code requirements and many are uninsurable. It you are talking about a more traditional masonry heater there are approved designs. The rocket mass heaters are only approved in a few select areas. Then there is the problem of the mass. You are talking about a very small space to start with do you really want to give up a large chunk of that to your heater?

Thanks in advance.

A 500 square foot house will be easy to heat with one small stove. A masonry heater (if we are talking about the same thing) is going to eat up a lot of floor space. If the house is well insulated and you lay out a good circulation plan you can cycle air from the basement to the ground floor using convection.

For what it's worth I heat around 3,000 well-insulated square feet divided evenly between two floors plus a partial basement with a small cheap wood stove.