Margin Gem cook stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Morso1bo

Burning Hunk
Mar 6, 2011
western new hampshire
Does anyone have any experience or insight into a Margin Gem cook stove? I am considering replacing an old Lange 6302K with one. I would like it to heat the down stairs of a 1500” 200 year old house in New England

The author of this blog has one and purchased it from Stoves and More. He's active and responded to my request for a range boiler plumbing diagram.

Reactions: Morso1bo

The author of this blog has one and purchased it from Stoves and More. He's active and responded to my request for a range boiler plumbing diagram.
Thanks so much for the link, tons of great information.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Also, I have to say I love your stove. I have a modern 2B Classic.

Thanks so much, it replaced a Moro 1bo which was great too. I have a Moro’s 2b standard which heats the two upstairs bedrooms and a bathroom in an 1811 cape. I am worried about swapping the Lange out for the Margin, fearing that it won’t keep the downstairs warm enough.

Thanks so much, it replaced a Moro 1bo which was great too. I have a Moro’s 2b standard which heats the two upstairs bedrooms and a bathroom in an 1811 cape. I am worried about swapping the Lange out for the Margin, fearing that it won’t keep the downstairs warm enough.
If the margin isn't enough and you like the classic style, checkout the flameview.

If you don't mind a reserved look check out the Heco stoves.

My cook stove is a North by Tim Sitsem and I'm not using it as a heating appliance, but to cook with. I plan on it running daily, but I don't anticipate it being able to heat my house in the winter, my morso works fine for that. You might be fine with a large cook stove downstairs and the modern Morso upstairs.

If the margin isn't enough and you like the classic style, checkout the flameview.

If you don't mind a reserved look check out the Heco stoves.

My cook stove is a North by Tim Sitsem and I'm not using it as a heating appliance, but to cook with. I plan on it running daily, but I don't anticipate it being able to heat my house in the winter, my morso works fine for that. You might be fine with a large cook stove downstairs and the modern Morso upstairs.
The North is a good looking stove too. The flame view is cool but a
Little big for the space, and glass door side requires 48” of clearance. I’ve looked at restored antique Glenwoods but don’t feel they are as safe or as efficient as the new ones. The 2b is a great little stove, it runs like a Porsche compared to the Lange, with the secondary burn system. It’s chimney rarely needs cleaning, where the Lange makes a mess out of its chimney.

The North is a good looking stove too. The flame view is cool but a
Little big for the space, and glass door side requires 48” of clearance. I’ve looked at restored antique Glenwoods but don’t feel they are as safe or as efficient as the new ones. The 2b is a great little stove, it runs like a Porsche compared to the Lange, with the secondary burn system. It’s chimney rarely needs cleaning, where the Lange makes a mess out of its chimney.

In the beginning I really wanted an antique gas/wood cook stove, but reality set in and I abandoned that hope. I feel you on the clearances, one reason I went with the North. Did the Lange provide enough heat for your first floor? If the Lange was enough then the Margin Gem should be ok. Another option to consider if you don't need cook rings would be the Elmira Fireview. Looks just like the margin gem but with a glass door for the firebox and a smooth cook top. It was my number one contender until we decided to go in a modern direction. Either way a cook stove makes a poor house heater. They can warm up one part of the house, but they really don't like to be pushed hard for long periods of time. Something else to consider if you are ambitious would be the boiler version of the North. My wife and I are thinking about building a cabin for her mother based around a North Hydro.

Definitely keep the Lange around, it's a really neat stove and pretty unique. If you are ever thinking about letting it go, give me a heads up, I'm not that far away.

In the beginning I really wanted an antique gas/wood cook stove, but reality set in and I abandoned that hope. I feel you on the clearances, one reason I went with the North. Did the Lange provide enough heat for your first floor? If the Lange was enough then the Margin Gem should be ok. Another option to consider if you don't need cook rings would be the Elmira Fireview. Looks just like the margin gem but with a glass door for the firebox and a smooth cook top. It was my number one contender until we decided to go in a modern direction. Either way a cook stove makes a poor house heater. They can warm up one part of the house, but they really don't like to be pushed hard for long periods of time. Something else to consider if you are ambitious would be the boiler version of the North. My wife and I are thinking about building a cabin for her mother based around a North Hydro.

Definitely keep the Lange around, it's a really neat stove and pretty unique. If you are ever thinking about letting it go, give me a heads up, I'm not that far away.
Thanks for your input. In my heart I know you are right about heating with a cook stove. I don’t mind working a little harder to get the heat, but fear I will damage the stove trying to get it to heat like our Lange. The Lange kept the downstairs warm. On really cold days the rooms farther away were definitely cooler, but it kept everything in The mid 50’s (even the upstairs through a floor grate vent). I only fire the Moro upstairs when it drops below 10 degrees. I would love to do a boiler version, but am a bit chicken about the safety and maintenance of the thing.

Thanks for your input. In my heart I know you are right about heating with a cook stove. I don’t mind working a little harder to get the heat, but fear I will damage the stove trying to get it to heat like our Lange. The Lange kept the downstairs warm. On really cold days the rooms farther away were definitely cooler, but it kept everything in The mid 50’s (even the upstairs through a floor grate vent). I only fire the Moro upstairs when it drops below 10 degrees. I would love to do a boiler version, but am a bit chicken about the safety and maintenance of the thing.

You could give it a try since you do have an EPA stove to help out. I think our square footage is about the same, but my layout is a salt box with the bedroom upstairs and the 2b Classic is my primary heater. It has worked for us on the coast in Downeast Maine with poor insulation even when temps were down into the negatives. Maybe figure out a way to have both on the same floor?

You could give it a try since you do have an EPA stove to help out. I think our square footage is about the same, but my layout is a salt box with the bedroom upstairs and the 2b Classic is my primary heater. It has worked for us on the coast in Downeast Maine with poor insulation even when temps were down into the negatives. Maybe figure out a way to have both on the same floor?
Unfortunately the oil boiler uses the main chimney in the original cape, so we cannot hook up a stove to that chimney. The Lange definitely gives us plenty of heat most of the time. I have a box fan blowing into the kitchen to push the heat back to the other side of the house, which has worked pretty well. I guess I will never know until I try it. I will definitely keep the old Lange laying in wait in case it is needed again. I really trust it! If I ever decide to let it go I will let you know.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Does anyone have any experience or insight into a Margin Gem cook stove? I am considering replacing an old Lange 6302K with one. I would like it to heat the down stairs of a 1500” 200 year old house in New England
I have a Margin Gem and have 11+ years experience with it burning both Wood or Coal. We live in Wells ME and use it to heat our 2600+ sqft home 95% of the time.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 164
I have a Margin Gem and have 11+ years experience with it burning both Wood or Coal. We live in Wells ME and use it to heat our 2600+ sqft home 95% of the time.
I didn't know the Gem could burn coal. Does it have a shaker system? My stove manual mentions a few times about burning coal/peat briquettes, but they aren't readily available here.

Yes it has a shaker system, 3 bars ,,, I've used lump and nut but prefer nut. I get my coal from Tractor Supply in Greenland NH around veterans day for the discount.
If you order the Margin, make sure to get BOTH the fire bricks for wood and coal. They are a different setup. If you try to burn coal with the setup for wood it won't run properly because wood setup has metal air strips between the fire bricks to do a secondary burn for the smoke while the coal setup channels the air up through the coal.